8.1098, Qs: French, Chinese poetry, Bannock

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 27 04:40:17 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1098. Sun Jul 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1098, Qs: French, Chinese poetry, Bannock

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:23:41 -0400
From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)
Subject:  Question for French speakers

2)
Date:  Sat, 26 Jul 1997 14:00:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  tif5292 at iperbole.bologna.it
Subject:  poetry and translation in China

3)
Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:11:38 -0600
From:  "rebecca s. wheeler" <rswheeler at cc.weber.edu>
Subject:  Phonetic transcription in Bannock?

Date:  Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:23:41 -0400
From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)

In English one can distinguish two different placements of an adverb
with two different readings:

(1) The conflict is not clearly an international problem.  "Perhaps
the conflict is an international problem, perhaps it is not an
international problem; whether it is an international problem or not
is not clear."

(2) The conflict is clearly not an international problem.  "The
conflict is not an international problem. That is clear."

In French, does

(3) Le conflit n'est clairement pas un probl=E8me international.  have
the meaning of (1) or (2) or both? Are there other possible placements
of _clairement_ which would have a meaning differing from that of (3)?

Thank you in advance for all help.

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)