8.1310, FYI: Language Areas, Re 8.1289, Bantu

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 16 19:33:11 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1310. Tue Sep 16 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1310, FYI: Language Areas, Re 8.1289, Bantu

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:18:07 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  language "locations" in the brain, continued

2)
Date:  Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:14:51 +0000
From:  David Solnit <dsolnit at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re 8.1289: Edmondson & Solnit

3)
Date:  Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:04:38 +1100
From:  Jeff Marck <jeff.marck at anu.edu.au>
Subject:  Bantu kin terms

Date:  Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:18:07 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)

I asked yesterday for reactions to the recently announced MRI research
on language "locations" in the brain (allegedly a single location for
all languages acquired in infancy, but separate ones for languages
acquired as an adult) and have been getting responses asking for a
proper reference. I apologize; I assumed that all of you would be way
ahead of me on the curve with this article. It's by Hirsch and Kim,
and appears in the July 10, 1997 issue of Nature. I have only read the
newspaper articles reporting on the research, plus a lengthy news
release about it from Memorial Sloan-Kettering (which you can get with
a Net search using "language location in the brain," if you want to
see it and it hasn't been removed from their page yet.)  I remain
extremely interested in linguist reactions; I'm getting a lot of
questions about the work and would like to be able to answer them with
reasonable accuracy. I'll be glad to post a summary of responses.

Suzette Haden Elgin