9.1549, Qs: Email List owners, Electronic Data

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 4 19:46:45 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1549. Wed Nov 4 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:18:18 -0700 (MST)
From:  Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Query: Electronic Corpora, Dictionaries, Grammars

2)
Date:  Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:03:59 -0700 (MST)
From:  Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:18:18 -0700 (MST)
From:  Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Dear Colleagues,

The LINGUIST list is considering allowing use of its facilities for the
storing of Electronic Corpora, dictionaries and grammars. If you are
the owner or producer of such a tool or document, would you please
consider responding to our questions? It would help us greatly in
determining how to distribute our facilities.

	1) What type of Language resource do you have? (eg. corpora, dict etc)
	2) What language(s) is this for? Is this language an endangered or
		minority language?
	3) Is your resource currently available to the public in any form
		(on the web, in print, via ftp etc)?
	4) What format is it in (eg. Shoebox, Filemaker, your own database,
				a word processing file, html etc)?
	5) Have you tried to have this resource published through
		a traditional print publisher? Was it successful?
	6) Would you, in principle, be willing to put your resource on
		the Linguist web site, making it available to researchers,
		students and laypeople?
	7) Were the linguist to develop a set of markup (or gloss standards)
		to allow our search engines to search your data, would
		you be willing to convert your data to those (liberal)
		standards?
	8) Does your data involve the use of any special fonts (IPA,
		or language-specific fonts)

Best,

Andrew Carnie, Helen Dry, Anthony Aristar
Moderators, Linguist List.