10.968, Qs: Phonetic Neutralization, Eskimo Snow Words

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 21 17:30:16 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-968. Mon Jun 21 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.968, Qs: Phonetic Neutralization, Eskimos/Snow Words

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:30:35 -0400
From:  Richard Sproat <rws at research.att.com>
Subject:  Avoidance of phonetic neutralization

2)
Date:  Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:54:51 +0100
From:  Ion <ion at gcsl.com>
Subject:  Perception/Eskimos and Snow

Date:  Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:30:35 -0400
From:  Richard Sproat <rws at research.att.com>

Can anyone point me to any studies of spontaneous speech that purport
to show that speakers may avoid certain phonetic alternations in a
given context that could result in ambiguities in that context?

To take an (admittedly not very good) example might speakers of
American English avoid flapping /t/ in "latter" in contexts where it
might be confusable with "ladder".

Obviously there is anecdotal evidence that people will occasionally
consciously avoid such alternations in such contexts, but I am
interested in knowing if there is any evidence of a more systematic
unconscious avoidance.

Please reply to me directly and I will post a summary to the List if I
get sufficient responses.

-
Richard Sproat               Human/Computer Interface Research
rws at research.att.com         AT&T Labs -- Research, Shannon Laboratory
Tel: +1-973-360-8490         180 Park Avenue, Room E153, P.O.Box 971
Fax: +1-973-360-8809         Florham Park, NJ 07932-0000