10.1361, FYI: Online syntax project, New language resource

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 16 14:56:27 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1361. Thu Sep 16 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1361, FYI: Online syntax project, New language resource

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:42:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  aurelien max <maxaurel at etu.utc.fr>
Subject:  Online syntax project for students and teachers

2)
Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:18:49 +0200
From:  Susanne Lenz <lenz at ids-mannheim.de>
Subject:  ELAN Announcement

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:42:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  aurelien max <maxaurel at etu.utc.fr>

Hi,

I would like to introduce a syntax project which is now available
online.  The 'Syntax Student's Companion' is a project first intended
for syntax students and teachers, which takes the form of a Java
applet/application.  Because of this, any computer environment
supporting a Java Virtual Machine should be able to run the program,
and any Java-enabled browser to run the applet.

The SSC could be a support tool for introductory syntax courses, as
well as a tree editor to produce bitmaps for handouts or
assignments. The main feature of the program is to allow visual
syntactic tree building and manipulation. Context-free grammars can
also be edited and used to check the validity of trees. Trees and
grammars can be saved in XML packages with the application
version. The program also supports exercices from XML packages
(unambiguous tree drawing, ambiguous tree drawing, and
transformations).

The project was developed with students in mind, thus it is entirely
free of use. In order to become really useful, it needs contributions
from people involved in Linguistics, under the form of exercices,
grammars and trees (detailed explanations on how to produce such
resources can be found on the website). The idea behind this would be
to have a repository of exercices as free material for students to
practice syntax exercices online. Practically, teachers could produce
their own exercices, add them to the repository and tell their
students to do the exercices contained in their package.

The program also supports language resource files so that it can be
run in any language that can be encoded into UNICODE (provided the
client system has the necessary fonts). It can now be used in English
and French, but any contributors who would like to take a bit of their
time to translate the template file would be very welcome.

The URL for the SSC website is http://wwwetu.utc.fr/~maxaurel/welcome.html .
On the website, you can get more details about the program, see the
latest additions, run the applet, download the application, browse the
online manual, and learn more about how you can contribute to the
project. I sincerely wish that this project could be useful, so any
feedback on anything related to the project would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Aurelien MAX

|  The Syntax Student's Companion homepage                   |
|                http://wwwetu.utc.fr/~maxaurel/welcome.html |
|   Syntactic tree drawing and grammar checking on the web   |