11.419, Qs: Shwa/American English, "Anymore"/American Eng

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 28 22:29:34 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-419. Mon Feb 28 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.419, Qs: Shwa/American English, "Anymore"/American Eng

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Queries about shwa in American English

2)
Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:25:18 +0000
From:  Gleeson <bgleeson at gofree.indigo.ie>
Subject:  Positive 'any more' and Hiberno-English

Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>

1. Given that shwa appears predictably in weakly stressed syllables in AE,
is there a ***class*** of vowels that are pronounced shwa under weak
stress, given that there are vowels in weakly stressed syllables that are
NOT shwa?  Take 'object' (noun): there is no shwa in the last
syllable even though it is weakly stressed. Given the pronunciation of
'objective,' the last vowel of the morpheme 'object-' alternates between
a high front vowel in 'object' and a mid front vowel in 'objective'.
Contrast'canon' and 'canonical' where the alternation is between shwa and a mid
back vowel. Shwa/nonshwa alternations also appear when the underlying
vowel is presumably low front, as shown in 'atom'/'atomic'. The first
vowel of 'atom-' is [ae](the digraph) in 'atom' but shwa in 'atomic'.
Is it the case, then, that swha alternates only with vowels other than
front nonlow or are there cases of alternation between front nonlow and
shwa?

2. Are there underlying shwas?  Calculus, calculable, calculate and
calculation all show [j] + shwa in the second syllable of calcul-. Is
there a pronunciation of calcul- that would show that the underlying vowel
is other than shwa?

Thanks in advance.

Jorge Guitart
SUNY Buffalo