11.2534, Sum: Quotative Inversion

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 24 17:33:15 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2534. Fri Nov 24 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2534, Sum: Quotative Inversion

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:26:37 -0500
From:  Chris Collins <cc42 at cornell.edu>
Subject:  Quotative Inversion

Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:26:37 -0500
From:  Chris Collins <cc42 at cornell.edu>

Dear Linguist List,

I posted a question to the Linguist List about the transitivity constraint in
Quotative Inversion (http://linguistlist.org/issues/11/11-2350.html#2).
Thanks to the following people for responding:
	Arild Hestvik
	Theo Vennemann.
	Peter T. Daniels
	Line Hove Mikkelsen
	Georgia Green
	Joost Kremers
	Arthur Stepanov

I did not receive any information on non-Indo-European languages.
I would like to ask for information (references, data) on any
non-Indo-European languages that have QI. In addition,
if anybody has any references (other than the ones listed below)
on QI in general, I would be interested in hearing about them.
I will post a summary of responses to these questions if there is enough
interest.

In my original post I predicted that "languages with a productive
V/2 strategy will not have the transitivity constraint, since QI
in those languages should also trigger V/2."

Overall it is clear that this prediction holds. The prediction holds
for Standard German (Vennemann) and Danish (Mikkelsen). Similarly,
Bulgarian (Stepanov)  has verb fronting in questions and does not have a
transitivity constraint (although Bulgarian is not a full V/2 language).

The most interesting case so far seems to be Dutch, which has the following
paradigm (Kremers):

1	a. 	*"ik ben zo gelukkig", marie zei tegen jan
	b. 	"ik ben zo gelukkig", zei marie tegen jan

2	a. 	*"ik ben zo gelukkig", marie zei jan
	b. 	??"ik ben zo gelukkig", zei marie jan

3	a. 	*"wat is de wisselkoers?" marie vroeg aan jan
	b. 	"wat is de wisselkoers?" vroeg marie aan jan

4	a. 	*"wat is de wisselkoers?" marie vroeg jan
	b. 	??"wat is de wisselkoers?" vroeg marie jan

	On the basis of this paradigm (especially (2b) and (4b)), it looks like
Dutch has a
transitivity constraint on quotative inversion. However, as Joost Kremers
points out,
there are many factors which complicate the picture. For example, if the
indirect
object in (2b) and (4b) is replaced by a pronoun, the sentences improve
greatly (no such
amelioration effect holds for English QI).
	On the basis of further examples, Kremers gives the following generalization:
"QI (and inversion in general) with double object verbs is only possible if
the indirect
object does not have focus. If the indirect object is replaced with a
prepositional object,
this object can have focus, although it does not have to." Summarizing
Kremers states:
"it seems that your initial prediction that V2 languages should not show
the double
transitivity constraint is in fact correct, at least for Dutch."

For people interested, a few addition references on Quotative Inversion are
the following:

Collins, Chris. 1997. Local Economy. Cambridge, MIT Press (especially
chapter 3).

Collins, Chris and Phil Branigan. 1997. Quotative Inversion. NLLT 15, 1-41.

Suner, Margarita. 2000. The Syntax of Direct Quotes with Special Reference
to Spanish and English. NLLT 18, 525-578.

Georgia Green told me about the following reference, which I have not been
able to obtain:

Gabriella Hermon, Gabriella. 1979. On the Discourse Structure of Direct
Quotation. Technical Report No. 143. Center for the Study of Reading,
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL.