12.1927, Qs: Thought & Language, Linguistic Urban Legends

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 30 14:00:11 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1927. Mon Jul 30 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1927, Qs: Thought & Language, Linguistic Urban Legends

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:07:35 -0700
From:  FRANK BELSKY <fjb49 at usadatanet.net>
Subject:  Process of Thought/Language

2)
Date:  Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:43:35 -0400
From:  Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com
Subject:  "Linguistic Urban Legends"

Date:  Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:07:35 -0700
From:  FRANK BELSKY <fjb49 at usadatanet.net>

Hi,

Do we process thoughts in words?  Seems unlikely to me, an untrained
observer.

Words are slow. We speak -- what 90 a minute -- read -- 300 - 600?  We
must be processing thoughts much faster, it seems..  If I'm not
reading, speaking or phrasing in mind, where are words or symbols for
them, processed?

Example:  Suddenly I feel as if I know.  The occurence is a fraction of
a second I can't measure as it happens so quickly.

I say to the recipeint, "I know the answer."
It might take me ten minutes of speech to fully explain the thought that
I recognized in a fraction of a second.  If I process words so slowly
when I speak or read, how can I be assured that I know all 2,000 words
that it takes to explain myself in a fraction of second?

I'm wondering if our conscious might concentrate on one cluster at a
time, while our unconscious can be grasping many more.

Hope I'm not sounding foolish or ridiculously elementary.

Yours truly,

Frank Belsky