14.3361, Qs: Control Structures; Cross-ling Speaking Rates

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 5 22:50:03 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3361. Fri Dec 5 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3361, Qs: Control Structures; Cross-ling Speaking Rates

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:23:54 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rocio Perez <rpere008 at uottawa.ca>
Subject:  second language acquisition of control structures

2)
Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 04:11:56 -0500 (EST)
From:  Julio Santiago <santiago at ugr.es>
Subject:  speaking rate across languages

Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:23:54 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rocio Perez <rpere008 at uottawa.ca>

I am writing my PhD dissertation on control structures. I am
particularly interested in the debate regarding the semantic
(Culicover and Jackendoff) vs. the syntactic(Hornstein) accounts. I
would like to investigate whether L2 acquisition data can contribute
toward ending the debate, but my problem is that so far I have had
very little luck finding references regarding studies of L2
acquisition of control structures(complements and/or adjuncts). Could
anybody please suggest any past or current studies? Have any L2
acquisition studies addressed this topic with regard to control
structures? I am specially interested in English and/or Spanish, but
L2 acquisition studies of control structures in any language will do
nicely. I will be posting a summary of the answers.

Subject-Language: English;Spanish; Code: SPN
Language-Family:  Indo-European; Code: IE