14.1575, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 4 01:26:51 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1575. Tue Jun 3 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1575, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:52:04 -0400
From:  Kiel Christianson <kiel at travelgolf.com>
Subject:  NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

2)
Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Neal Audenaert <aggiemedic01 at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Re: 14.1555, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:52:04 -0400
From:  Kiel Christianson <kiel at travelgolf.com>

Joseph Tomei is correct when he says:

"John Limber suggests that the disappearance of Ubykh is related to
questions of evolutionary fitness. Given in the context of the NYTimes
article, the point could be taken that all languages that are
endangered could be simply 'unfit'. Besides the fact that such lines
of argument have, in the past, led to any number of problems, this
suggests that all other things are equal. However, this is not the
case."

By John Limber's argument, Hawa'iian, with its small consonant inventory,
should have crushed the English language of those who invaded those
islands.

Kiel Christianson
University of Massachusetts, Amherst