14.2441, Qs: Eng Polar Opposites; Direction Word Order

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 16 00:13:16 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2441. Mon Sep 15 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2441, Qs: Eng Polar Opposites; Direction Word Order

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:53:50 -0400
From:  michele bishop <mishbish at mac.com>
Subject:  presenting polar opposites?

2)
Date:  Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:32:35 +0900
From:  Ron Andrews <rja at osk2.3web.ne.jp>
Subject:  Order of compass directions in different languages

Date:  Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:53:50 -0400
From:  michele bishop <mishbish at mac.com>

I am looking at the phenomenon of posing two alleged polar opposites in
English that begin with comparing 'black and white', for example:

"It doesn't matter if you are black or white, ______________ or
______________."

Does anyone have any insight into the function of such a construction?
Is the intended focus on the first half (looking at issues of race), or
on the second half (which would be  filled in according to one's goal I
presume).

"It doesn't matter if you are black or white, young or old".
In this case the emphasis seems to be on how different each member of
the set is from the other as compared to:

"It doesn't matter if you are black or white, purple or green."  This
could be seen as as a request to look beyond race.

In sign language, the members of each pair are set up to the right and
left of the speaker indicating two separate groups though not
necessarily opposites.  Does this function the same way in both ASL and
English?

Thanks for joining me in my musings!  Would appreciate any thoughts on
this topic!

Thank you,

Michele Bishop
Gallaudet University