16.1274, Jobs: Phonetics: Post Doc, U of Maryland at Baltimore

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 20 19:04:56 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1274. Wed Apr 20 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1274, Jobs: Phonetics: Post Doc, U of Maryland at Baltimore

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 20-Apr-2005
From: Maureen Stone < mstone at umaryland.edu >
Subject: Phonetics: Post Doc, University of Maryland at Baltimore, MD, USA

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:01:39
From: Maureen Stone < mstone at umaryland.edu >

University or Organization: University of Maryland at Baltimore
Department: Biomedical Sciences
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology

A post-doctoral fellowship is available in the Vocal Tract Visualization
Laboratory, a biomedically oriented laboratory studying vocal tract and
tongue activity during speech and swallowing (see also
http://speech.umaryland.edu).  The laboratory is located in Baltimore, MD,
in the Department of Biomedical Sciences of the University of Maryland
Dental School.  The traineeship, funded by a National Institutes of Health
training grant, will be available in September, 2005.  The position
requires that the candidate be a US citizen or have a green card.  In
addition to the colleagues at the VTV lab, collaboration is also done with:
the Johns Hopkins University Departments of Cognitive Science and
Electrical and Computer Engineering; the University of Maryland's
Department of Radiology  (MRI), and School of Engineering; and the
University of Delaware Dept of Computer and Information Systems.  These
collaborations ensure access to a variety of research facilities and a
diverse intellectual atmosphere.

The potential areas of study are flexible and include the general areas of
speech production, articulatory phonetics, vocal tract physiology, and
oral-pharyngeal motor control.  We expect the trainee will work with us on
some of our current grant supported research, and develop his or her own
original research as well.  A doctoral degree is required.  In addition,
the preferred candidate should have strong analytical skills and expertise
in one or more of the following: linguistics, speech science and speech
motor control.  We encourage applications from people in related areas,
e.g., acoustic phonetics, who are interested in expanding their experiences.

The position will begin in September 2005.  Please send a letter of
interest, a curriculum vitae and references to the address below or by email to:
 mstone at umaryland.edu

Credentials will be reviewed when received.  Hiring decisions will be made
as rapidly as possible.  The University of Maryland is an equal opportunity
employer committed to excellence through diversity.

Address for Applications:

Maureen Stone, PhD, Professor
Department of Biomedical Sciences
University of Maryland Dental School
666 W. Baltimore Street, 5-A-12
Baltimore, MD, 21201
United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Dr. Maureen Stone
Email: mstone at umaryland.edu
Tel: 410-706-1269
Fax: 410-706-0193
Website: http://speech.umaryland.edu

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!