16.1480, Qs: Negation in Questions;Hungarian-English Bilinguals

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 10 13:29:22 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1480. Tue May 10 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1480, Qs: Negation in Questions;Hungarian-English Bilinguals

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-May-2005
From: Maria Gavriel < m.gavriel at sms.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Negation in Questions

2)
Date: 10-May-2005
From: Livia Demjanova < demjanli at unipo.sk >
Subject: Hungarian-English Bilingualism Research

Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:26:41
From: Maria Gavriel < m.gavriel at sms.ed.ac.uk >

Dear Linguists,

I am a postgraduate student of Natural Language Processing and I am
focussing my dissertation project on the treatment of negative input in
Question Answering (QA). I am trying to work out ways of successfully
searching for and retrieving the right answer from a database, to questions
such as:

'What MSc programs of this department DO NOT require mathematical background?'

or

'Which european country has NEVER won gold metals in the Olympic games?'
etc. etc.

Negative input could be of the form of adverbs (never, seldom), or of the
form of verbs (fail to, stop, seize), etc.

I am in search of whichever research might be related to this, background
reading, or whatever else might seem helpful.

Thank you for your time,

Maria Gavriel
MSc Speech and Language Processing
Edinburgh University

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics