16.2783, Jobs: Neurolinguistics: Post Doc, MD

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 27 17:29:43 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2783. Tue Sep 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2783, Jobs: Neurolinguistics: Post Doc, MD

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Sep-2005
From: Allen Braun < brauna at nidcd.nih.gov >
Subject: Neurolinguistics: Post Doc, NIDCD/National Institutes of Health, MD, USA

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:25:43
From: Allen Braun < brauna at nidcd.nih.gov >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: NIDCD/National Institutes of Health
Department: Language Section/Voice Speech and Language Branch
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Neurolinguistics; Functional Neuroimaging

A postdoctoral fellowship is available immediately in the Language Section,
NIDCD, NIH Intramural Program, Bethesda, MD

Our section conducts multimodal imaging studies of language - from elementary
perceptual and motor function to the level of discourse, using hemodynamic
(fMRI, PET), radiotracer (PET) and electrophysiological (EEG, MEG) techniques.
An ideal candidate would have experience with one or more of these methods
and/or computational methods used in the analysis of the data they provide, and
a strong interest in using these methods to study brain-language relationships.
 Our general strategy involves developing imaging paradigms in the normal
population and using these to study neurological or psychiatric disorders that
affect speech, voice and language.  We are interested in a number of such
disorders (e.g. Parkinson's Disease, developmental stuttering, Tourette
Syndrome)  however the present position would be dedicated to designing and
conducting  longitudinal studies of recovery in aphasia - evaluating and
modeling the natural history, and behavioral or pharmacological augmentation of
long term neuroplastic reorganization and repair in this disorder.

The fellowship carries an initial contract of two years with an option to renew.
 The Language Section is a cooperative environment in which there is an
opportunity to interact with postdoctoral fellows, graduate students and
technicians with a wide range of interests and skills.  Instrumentation
available to our Section at The NIH clinical center includes a 3T GE MRI
instrument, GE Advance PET scanners, 275 channel CTF MEG and Neuroscan EEG/ERP
systems, as well as animal imaging facilities using MRI, CT, PET and
electrophysiological methods.

A PhD or MD degree is required.  Knowledge of fMRI, MEG and experience in
using these methods to evaluate brain language relationships strongly preferred.
 Experience in computer programming, image processing and a proven ability to
implement methodology will be advantageous as well.

Address for Applications:

Allen Braun, M.D.
Chief, Language Section
Voice, Speech and Language Branch
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Building 10, Room 8S235A
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
USA