17.1297, Qs: Fiction Inf. Extraction; Validating Stimuli

Fri Apr 28 00:46:01 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1297. Thu Apr 27 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1297, Qs: Fiction Inf. Extraction; Validating Stimuli

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: James Rider <rider at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Apr-2006
From: Sharon Givon < s0560804 at sms.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Inf. Extraction from Fiction: Collecting Test Data

2)
Date: 27-Apr-2006
From: Mariana Vial < mariana_vial at yahoo.ca >
Subject: (Volunteers) Validating Stimuli, Canadian French

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:43:56
From: Sharon Givon < s0560804 at sms.ed.ac.uk >

Dear all,

My name is Sharon Givon and I'm an MSc student in the Speech & Language
Processing program at the University of Edinburgh. My dissertation project
deals with extracting information from fiction (with Amazon.com): central
characters, relationships between them and main story events.
Unfortunately, no annotated corpus is available for that purpose, and this
is where I need your help.

If you are willing to help, you will find in the attached link a list of
very famous books. If you think you are familiar enough with a story
(either from reading the book or watching the film), please click on its
link to fill in some information about it. You will be asked to fill in
names of central characters, relationships between them and short
description of main events.
If you need to refresh your memory you can use the links to the actual book
texts.

Collecting this information is crucial to my project and will hopefully be
useful for more researchers. I would extremely appreciate it if you
dedicated a few minutes to it. Do not feel like you have to fill in
information for the whole list of titles: a few books would be great but
even one book would be well appreciated.

Here is the link:
http://sgivon.tripod.com/Index.html

Feel free to email me with questions or comment.

Regards,
Sharon.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics