17.741, Diss: Morphology/Syntax: Yilmaz: 'Linguistics ...'

Fri Mar 10 20:05:22 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-741. Fri Mar 10 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.741, Diss: Morphology/Syntax: Yilmaz: 'Linguistics ...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Mar-2006
From: Arsun Yilmaz < arsuny at superonline.com >
Subject: Linguistics Realizations of Predicates of Property Attribution in Modern Turkish Language

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:02:20
From: Arsun Yilmaz < arsuny at superonline.com >

Institution: University of Paris 3, Sorbonne Nouvelle
Program: Department of French and Latin Literature and Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 1998

Author: Arsun Uras Yilmaz

Dissertation Title: Linguistics Realizations of Predicates of Property
Attribution in Modern Turkish Language

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Turkish (tur)

Dissertation Director(s):
Mary-Annick Morel

Dissertation Abstract:

This thesis has for object to process predicates of property attribution in
modern Turkish language. Due to the fact that these predicates have
characteristics more varied in the oral that in written language which entails
more problems of translation, we have centered more on spontaneous oral of the
modern Turkish.  The predicate of property attribution, that is often translated
in French by the verb 'to be', has mainly two morphologically different
linguistic realizations: 1. The first is the nominal predication analyzed under
the title of 'predicate of property attribution without explicit marker', 2. The
second is the verbal predication analyzed under the title of 'predicate of
placement in two relationship elements with the predicative mark OL-'. To do
this, we had to select from our oral corpus, several segments that we have
divided into composed paragraphs of different constituents from the oral: a)
suprasegmental marks more indispensable for the analysis of the nominal
predication (Ø), b) more indispensable segmental constituents for the analysis
of the verbal predication  (OL-). In the nominal predication (Ø), we have
noticed that the predicative function was insured by the intonation, while in
the verbal predication (OL-), there were rather complementary of segmental marks
and of the intonation no longer having a predicative function because of the
sequence of morphological marks of a predicative nature.