17.3069, Confs: Discipline of Ling/UK

Wed Oct 18 16:23:55 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-3069. Wed Oct 18 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.3069, Confs: Discipline of Ling/UK

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Oct-2006
From: Louise Ashmore < elap at soas.ac.uk >
Subject: Data and Methodology in Language Documentation

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:21:11
From: Louise Ashmore < elap at soas.ac.uk >

Data and Methodology in Language Documentation

Date: 04-Nov-2006 - 05-Nov-2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact: Leora Bar-el
Contact Email: lb35 at soas.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.hrelp.org/events/workshops/datamethodology/

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics

Meeting Description:

ELAP Workshop: What Counts (and what doesn't)? Data and Methodology in Language
Documentation.
November 4-5, 2006
Endangered Languages Academic Programme, Department of Linguistics, SOAS, London

The programme, abstracts and registration details are available at
http://www.hrelp.org/events/workshops/datamethodology/ .

The goals of this workshop are to explore what we mean when we refer to ''data''
and what methodologies we use when collecting, presenting, and analyzing it in
an interdisciplinary exchange between anthropologists, historians, linguists,
and sociologists. Among the issues to be considered are:

What counts (and what does not count) as data?
Can we make different assumptions about data and still do comparative work? How
do our various areas and disciplines reflect on their own approaches to data and
methodology? Are there different, perhaps conflicting, data traditions within
our areas and disciplines?
Do our consultants share our views on what data is? What is their view?

Registrations need to be submitted by October 23rd. For information about
registration and to download a registration form please go to
http://www.hrelp.org/events/workshops/datamethodology/ .