18.618, All: Obituary: Robert W. Young

Mon Feb 26 17:22:00 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-618. Mon Feb 26 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.618, All: Obituary: Robert W. Young

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 22-Feb-2007
From: Bernard Spolsky < bspolsky at gmail.com >
Subject: Obituary: Robert W. Young

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:19:46
From: Bernard Spolsky < bspolsky at gmail.com >

I have just learned of the death on February 20, at the age of 95, of
Robert W. Young, author with the late William Morgan, of the Navajo
dictionary.  His lifetime of devotion to Navajo linguistics and his warm
and friendly support of all who studied it will be long remembered.  His
daughter wrote me ''Dad didn't want any fancy memorial services--he never
placed any value in that sort of ''stuff,'' but if you might like to do
something in his memory a donation can be made to his scholarship fund at
the Univ. of New Mexico.  This fund was very important to him.  Following
is the address:

Robert W. Young Scholarship Fund
c/o UNM Foundation
MSC07-4260