18.2005, Sum: References for Research on Popular Culture

Tue Jul 3 17:21:15 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2005. Tue Jul 03 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2005, Sum: References for Research on Popular Culture

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Jul-2007
From: Monika Bednarek < Monika.Bednarek at phil.uni-augsburg.de >
Subject: References for Research on Popular Culture

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:19:35
From: Monika Bednarek < Monika.Bednarek at phil.uni-augsburg.de >

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.1920

Dear all,

I would like to thank the following researchers very much for replying to
my question regarding research on popular culture posted recently on the
LinguistList:

Dr. Francisco Yus
Anastasia
Judith Bündgens-Kosten
Heiko Motschenbacher
Alexander Brock
Lars Hinrichs
Harold Schiffman
Dave Sayers

In addition to the references posted in the original query, the following
references seem particularly relevant (though I have not had time to look
at all bibliographical suggestions in detail):

A useful website:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult

Other references:

Adams, M. 2003. Slayer Slang: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.

Ashby, L. 2006. With Amusement for all. A History of American Popular
Culture since 1830. University Press of Kentucky.

Attallah, P. 2002. "The unworthy discourse: situation comedy in
television". In: Morreale, J. (ed.). Critiquing the Sitcom. A Reader.
Syracuse University Press, 91-115.

Bubel, C. 2004. "'Men don't want a woman who's too self-sufficient': The
linguistic (re)construction of female identities in Sex and the City". In:
Miemietz, B. (ed.): Blickpunkt:

Frauen- und Geschlechterstudien. St. Ingbert: Röhrig, 47-60.

Bubel, C. 2005. "'I'm on total ovary overload': The linguistic
representation of women in Sex and the City". In: Betten, A.; & M. Dannerer
(eds.). Dialogue Analysis IX: Dialogue in Literature and the Media. Part 2:
Media. Selected Papers from the 9th IADA Conference, Salzburg 2003.
Tübingen: Niemeyer, 259-268.

Bubel, C.M. & A. Spitz. 2006. "'One of the last vestiges of gender bias':
the characterization of women trhough the telling of dirty jokes in Ally
McBeal." Humour 19/1: 71-104.

Brock, A. 2004. Blackadder, Monty Python und Red Dwarf  eine linguistische
Untersuchung britischer Fernsehkomödien. Tübingen: Stauffenburg.

Brock, A. 2006. "Comedy-Formate und die Kunst der Medienreflexion". In:
Block, F. (ed). Komik, Medien, Gender. Ergebnisse des Kasseler
Komik-Kolloquiums,  Bielefeld: Aisthesis, 89-106.

Brock, A. 2006. "Vergnügliche Aggressionen. Zur analytischen Erfassung
aggressiver Komik in Fernsehkomödien". In: Klemm, M. & E.-M. Jakobs (eds).
Das Vergnügen in und an den Medien. Interdisziplinäre Perspektiven.
Frankfurt am Main etc: Lang, 49-65.

Dalton, M. & L. Linder 2005 (eds). The Sitcom Reader. America Viewed and
Skewed. State University of New York Press.

Fine, M.G. 1981. "Soap opera conversations". Journal of Communication 31/3:
97-107.

Queen, R. 2006. "Heterosexism and/in language". In: Brown, E. K. (ed.)
Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics. (Second Edition) Amsterdam:
Elsevier, 289-292.

Sapolsky, B. S. & B. Kaye 2005. "The use of offensive language by men and
women in prime time television entertainment". Atlantic Journal of
Communication 13: 292-303.

Snell, J. 2006. "Schema theory and the humour of Little Britain". English
Today 85, Vol 22/1.

Zabalbeascoa, P. 1996. "Translating jokes from dubbed television comedies".
The Translator 2/2: 235/257.

This is only a selection from the many references that I have been sent.
Many thanks again,

Monika

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics