18.1908, Qs: K-12 Ling Outreach Programs; Rendering Paper-and-Pencil Tests

Mon Jun 25 17:08:56 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1908. Mon Jun 25 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1908, Qs: K-12 Ling Outreach Programs; Rendering Paper-and-Pencil Tests

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Jun-2007
From: Paula Chesley < ches0045 at umn.edu >
Subject: K-12 Linguistic Outreach Programs

2)
Date: 20-Jun-2007
From: Ebrahim Khodadady < ekhodada at georgebrown.ca >
Subject: Rendering Paper-and-Pencil Test Electronic

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:05:45
From: Paula Chesley < ches0045 at umn.edu >

Hi everyone,

I'm a graduate student in linguistics, and I'm interested in participating in an
outreach
program where university students go to K-12 schools, preferably a high school,
once
or twice a month and help kids learn about linguistics, or linguistically
relevant topics.
The outreach coordinator at my university has asked me to find out whether other
linguistics programs have established outreach programs, and if so what the
students
do (I think it might be challenging for her to find something for me to do --
although
I've suggested many possibilities, linguistics per se is not a subject taught in
K-12
education, at least not usually the U.S.A.).

If your department has such a program or if you know about any such programs, could
you let me know about what the programs do, and what the role of graduate students
is within the program? Or if you know someone I could contact to find out more
about
outreach programs, could you put me in touch with him or her? If you don't know of
any programs, but have any other thoughts on the matter, please feel free to
respond
too!

Thanks,
Paula Chesley