19.1423, All: Obituary: Enrique Alcaraz-Var ó

Mon Apr 28 14:29:18 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1423. Mon Apr 28 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1423, All: Obituary: Enrique Alcaraz-Varó

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 28-Apr-2008
From: Chelo Vargas-Sierra < chelo.vargas at ua.es >
Subject: Obituary: Enrique Alcaraz-Varó

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:27:51
From: Chelo Vargas-Sierra [chelo.vargas at ua.es]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1423.html&submissionid=176804&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Dr. Alcaraz died on April 26, 2008 at the age of 68. He will be deeply
missed by his family, colleagues, and friends. His death is a terrible loss
to everyone who knew him.

Dr. Alcaraz was an outstanding scholar, and Professor of English Language
at the University of Alicante (Spain), where he was a founding member of
the English Studies Department in the decade of the 70s. He was also the
founder of IULMA (Interuniversity Institute for Applied Modern Languages),
an institution devoted to promoting the applied study of specialized languages.

Dr. Alcaraz loved his job, and very generously shared his knowledge about
English and Spanish languages, translation and applied linguistics with
generations of young students and scholars both in national and
international universities. He also introduced numerous students to the
fascinating world of English studies (stylistics, pedagogy, English for
specific purposes, etc.) legal translation and technical lexicography and
inspired many new ideas for future research in applied linguistics and
translation.

Dr. Alcaraz was a delightful and inspiring conversationalist. Although he
is gone now and it will be very hard to get used to it, he has left us with
numerous publications and wonderful teachings. Those of us who were
fortunate to either have been his students or to have worked with him have
learned not only from his academic discourse but also and, most
importantly, from his tender and kind human character. We will continue to
read, quote and remember the wise words of our mentor, master, scholar and
friend.

Dear Enrique, we are going to miss you very much. We will never forget you.

SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY

ALCARAZ VARÓ, E. (1990): Tres paradigmas de la investigación lingüística,
Alcoy: Marfil.
ALCARAZ VARÓ, E. (2000): El inglés profesional y académico, Madrid: Alianza
Editorial.
ALCARAZ VARÓ, E. (2002): El inglés jurídico. Barcelona: Ariel.
ALCARAZ VARÓ, E. and HUGHES,  B. (2002): Legal Translation Explained.
Manchester: St. Jerome Publishing.
ALCARAZ, E. & HUGHES, B. (2004 [1996]): Diccionario de términos económicos,
financieros y comerciales, Barcelona: Editorial Ariel.
ALCARAZ VARÓ, E & HUGHES, B. (2005 [1993]): Diccionario de términos
jurídicos, Barcelona: Ariel

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable