19.1530, Confs: Sociolinguistics/UK

Fri May 9 19:06:15 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1530. Fri May 09 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1530, Confs: Sociolinguistics/UK

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Morse <morse at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-May-2008
From: Peter beim Graben < p.r.beimgraben at reading.ac.uk >
Subject: Workshop on Dynamical Systems in Language

Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 15:04:38
From: Peter beim Graben [p.r.beimgraben at reading.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1530.html&submissionid=177762&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Workshop on Dynamical Systems in Language

Date: 08-Sep-2008 - 09-Sep-2008
Location: Reading, United Kingdom
Contact: Peter beim Graben
Contact Email: p.r.beimgraben at reading.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.num.math.uni-goettingen.de/potthast/css1/

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

Cognitive neuroscience is one of the research priorities of the University of
Reading (UoR), and over the last years we have built up a strong and interesting
interdisciplinary group of excellent researchers.

Recently, UoR has been awarded with a 'Bridging the Gaps' grant for
interdisciplinary research on 'Cognitive Systems Sciences' (CSS) from the EPSRC
(Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council of UK). The idea is to bring
together psychologists, linguists, mathematicians, and computer scientists to
make progress with the basic and important questions of our field.

As part of the CSS program, we are organising a two day workshop on

Dynamical Systems in Language

To be held at the
University of Reading,
September 08 - 09, 2008.

The aim of the workshop is to bridge the gaps between neural computation and
symbolic cognition and will focus on issues such as:

Computational mechanics
Grammar classification by dynamical systems
Dynamical language processing
Connectionist parsing
Dynamical field approaches to symbolic cognition

Scientific Organisers:

Peter beim Graben
Roland Potthast
Slawomir Nasuto