19.3325, FYI: Access to the British National Corpus

Mon Nov 3 06:28:31 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3325. Mon Nov 03 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3325, FYI: Access to the British National Corpus

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Nov-2008
From: Sebastian Hoffmann < s.hoffmann at lancaster.ac.uk >
Subject: Access to the British National Corpus (BNC) at Lancaster University

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 01:26:11
From: Sebastian Hoffmann [s.hoffmann at lancaster.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3325.html&submissionid=195290&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Access to the British National Corpus via BNCweb at Lancaster University:

I would like to announce the availability of a new service hosted at
Lancaster University for accessing the British National Corpus (XML-edition)
via BNCweb. The service is free of charge and available to anybody who
registers with a valid e-mail address.

Since the BNC is a licensed product, certain access restrictions are
implemented:

- Standard users do not have access to the larger context of individual
concordance lines.

- Query results with more than 5000 matches are automatically
downsampled to 5000 concordance lines. The selection is random but
reproducible.

- The ''Browse a Text'' feature is disabled.

Please note that these restrictions may change at any time without prior
notice.

I am also currently investigating the possibility of giving current license
holders of the BNC (XML-version) full access to the corpus via the Lancaster
server. Registered users of BNCweb will be notified of this option by e-mail
once details are available.

URL for signing up: http://bncweb.lancs.ac.uk/bncwebSignup/

BNCweb is freely available Open Source software and can be installed on
your own server. For further information about BNCweb, please visit

http://bncweb.info

The functionality of BNCweb is described in detail in ''Corpus Linguistics
with BNCweb - a Practical Guide'' (Hoffmann, Evert, Smith, Lee & Berglund
Prytz, 2008). A sample chapter and the table of contents can be
downloaded from:

http://bncweb.info

Best,
Sebastian Hoffmann

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics