20.160, FYI: Digging into Data Challenge inernational competition

Sun Jan 18 23:41:15 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-160. Sun Jan 18 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.160, FYI: Digging into Data Challenge inernational competition

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Jan-2009
From: Terry Langendoen < dlangend at nsf.gov >
Subject: Digging into Data Challenge international competition

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:40:15
From: Terry Langendoen [dlangend at nsf.gov]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-160.html&submissionid=202448&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

The Digging into Data Challenge is an international grant competition
sponsored by four leading research agencies, the Joint Information Systems
Committee (JISC) from the United Kingdom, the National Endowment for the
Humanities (NEH) from the United States, the National Science Foundation
(NSF) from the United States, and the Social Sciences and Humanities
Research Council (SSHRC) from Canada.

What is the ''challenge'' we speak of?  The idea behind the Digging into
Data Challenge is to answer the question ''what do you do with a million
books?''  Or a million pages of newspaper? Or a million photographs of
artwork?  That is, how does the notion of scale affect humanities and
social science research? Now that scholars have access to huge repositories
of digitized data -- far more than they could read in a lifetime -- what
does that mean for research?

Applicants will form international teams from at least two of the
participating countries.  Winning teams will receive grants from two or
more of the funding agencies and, one year later, will be invited to show
off their work at a special conference. Our hope is that these projects
will serve as exemplars to the field.

For details, go to:
http://www.diggingintodata.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     General Linguistics