20.2226, Sum: Strunk & White Research

Thu Jun 18 20:26:03 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2226. Thu Jun 18 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.2226, Sum: Strunk & White Research

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Pamela Dixon <pamela at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Jun-2009
From: Geoff Pullum < gpullum at ling.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Strunk & White Research

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:23:47
From: Geoff Pullum [gpullum at ling.ed.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2226.html&submissionid=221051&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 20.2206

The first two answers I got were inconsistent, but I think the first was
confused about which editions Google Books has made available in scanned
form (some books with ''The Elements of Style'' on the cover are just
reissues of Strunk's 1918 original). Dirk Elzinga of the Department of
Linguistics and English Language at Brigham Young University tells me the
''hopefully'' paragraph is indeed in the 1972 (2nd) edition of the White
revision. This is what I thought might be the case: between 1959 and 1972
White had 13 years for reflection on new usages, and added at least one new
peeve. The third edition in 1979 differs little from the 1972.  Thanks to
Dirk; and I can now free everyone else from the chore of delving into the
horrid little book in question.

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax