20.3597, Diss: Lang Acq: Bayona: 'Crosslinguistic Influences in the...'

Sun Oct 25 14:24:54 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3597. Sun Oct 25 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3597, Diss: Lang Acq: Bayona: 'Crosslinguistic Influences in the...'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny <di at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Oct-2009
From: Patricia Bayona < pbayona at uwo.ca >
Subject: Crosslinguistic Influences in the Acquisition of Spanish as a Third Language

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:22:06
From: Patricia Bayona [pbayona at uwo.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3597.html&submissionid=235057&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Western Ontario
Program: Interdisciplinary Program of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2009

Author: Patricia Bayona

Dissertation Title: Crosslinguistic Influences in the Acquisition of Spanish as
a Third Language

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Dissertation Director(s):
David Heap
Jeff Tennant

Dissertation Abstract:

Our study is focused on cross-linguistic influences in Spanish L3
acquisition by learners with English L1 and French L2. We based our
observations in a corpus of written compositions from which we extracted
the errors and classified them according to the possible influence from
French and English that might have caused them. In addition, we did an
error analysis database with the lexical, morphological and structural
features that these errors exhibited, which we crosstabulated with
information obtained in a linguistic profile that our participants responded.

This mixed approach of the analysis of this written corpus combined with
inferential statistics of the qualitative descriptions of error analysis
data and the linguistic profiles information has allowed us to support the
argument that L3 acquisition is not an identical process to L2 acquisition
(Hall, 2001; Leung, 2005). The study also provides quantitative evidence to
confirm the notion that the principles of recency, typological-lexical
similarity, and proficiency are activated in Spanish L3 learners (Cenoz,
2001; Dewaele, 1998; Hammarberg, 2001). In addition, we have shown that the
social and academic contexts of the L3 learners are related factors to the
production of CLIs in the written performance of Spanish L3 individuals.

Our study incorporates the interpretation of the mental representation of
the language mode of trilinguals as proposed by Grosjean (2001; 2004),
applied to third language learners. We offer an extended perspective for
the application of the model in which the activation of previously acquired
languages is independent of external factors such as the perceived
linguistic background of the receptor of the message, as originally
proposed by Grosjean.

In sum, our holistic approach integrates qualitative and quantitative
elements of the error analysis and participant profile data. We discuss how
this approach can shed light on the dynamics that lie behind the production
of crosslinguistic influences in the written production of third language
learners.