21.5037, Support: Morphology,Semantics,Syntax: PhD Student, U. Pompeu Fabra, Spain

Mon Dec 13 02:43:43 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-5037. Sun Dec 12 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.5037, Support: Morphology,Semantics,Syntax: PhD Student, U. Pompeu Fabra, Spain

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Dec-2010
From: Louise McNally [louise.mcnally at upf.edu]
Subject: Morphology, Semantics, Syntax: PhD Student, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 21:42:52
From: Louise McNally [louise.mcnally at upf.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-5037.html&submissionid=3795055&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Department: Translation and Language Sciences
Web Address: http://www.upf.edu/dtcl

Level: PhD

Duties: Project Work

Specialty Areas: Morphology; Semantics; Syntax

The Formal Linguistics Group in the Department of Translation and Language
Sciences at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, announces one four-year
research assistantship for doctoral study associated with the funded project
"Natural Language Ontology and the Semantic Representation of Abstract
Objects."

The overall goal of this project is to improve our understanding of how we refer to
abstract objects such as events, states, and properties. We take as a starting
point the basic ontology for abstract objects that is emerging in our recent work
and will explore it mainly with Romance, Germanic and Slavic data involving
nominalizations, participles, and adjectives, with special emphasis on clarifying
the distinction between states and properties and between eventuality/property
types and tokens. Equally important is the further development of current work on
the semantics of complementation and modification in nominals, with special
emphasis on adjectival modification and contrasts between adjectival and
prepositional phrase modifiers. An important subgoal is to deepen our
understanding of the similarities and differences between the semantics of
morphologically-related nouns, verbs, and adjectives. The research to be carried
out has both a synchronic and diachronic dimension, and involves both qualitative
and quantitative data analysis. The project team currently includes three senior
researchers, three postdoctoral researchers, and two graduate students.

The interested candidates should:
-have some background in syntax or semantics, and an interest in both
-be ready to carry out his/her own doctoral research on a topic related to the
project
-be willing to collaborate in the activities associated with the project and organized
by the Formal Linguistics Group, and
-have a good command of English; knowledge of Catalan or Spanish is not
essential, but some knowledge or willingness to learn would be a plus

The position includes a monthly stipend, coverage by the Social Security system,
and university fees related to doctoral study. The assistantship also includes the
possibility of applying for grants for short-term stays abroad. Annual renewal of the
assistantship will depend on successful progress in the doctoral program and
collaboration on the research project.

The application for these assistantships will be handled through the Spanish
Ministry of Science and Innovation. The Ministry's application period usually opens
in late January or early February and is open only for 15 days, so individuals who
are interested in applying are advised to contact Louise McNally at louise .
mcnally @ upf . edu as soon as possible, and in any case no later than January
10, 2011. Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a writing
sample or a brief statement of interest.

Universitat Pompeu Fabra (http://www.upf.edu) is a small, research-oriented
university located in the center of Barcelona, with a highly international faculty and
student body. For more information about the Formal Linguistics Group (GLIF) see
http://parles.upf.es/glif.

For information (in Spanish) about last year's call, visit the MICINN website:
http://www.micinn.es/portal/site/MICINN/menuitem.dbc68b34d11ccbd5d52ffeb8014
32ea0/vgnextoid=2d161e84ed136210VgnVCM1000001d04140aRCRD&vgnextchan
nel=8da5b9746e160210VgnVCM1000001034e20aRCRD

Application Deadline: 10-Jan-2011

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Louise McNally
	Department of Translation and Language Sciences, UPF
	c/Roc Boronat, 138
	Barcelona Barcelona 08018
	Spain

Contact Information: