22.4761, Diss: Historical Ling/Socioling: Fens-de Zeeuw: 'Lindley Murray ...'

Tue Nov 29 18:28:50 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4761. Tue Nov 29 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4761, Diss: Historical Ling/Socioling: Fens-de Zeeuw: 'Lindley Murray ...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 28-Nov-2011
From: Lyda Fens-de Zeeuw [lyda.fens.dezeeuw at utoronto.ca]
Subject: Lindley Murray (1745-1826), Quaker and Grammarian

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:26:44
From: Lyda Fens-de Zeeuw [lyda.fens.dezeeuw at utoronto.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4761.html&submissionid=4536727&topicid=14&msgnumber=1
 Institution: Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
Program: Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2011

Author: Lyda Fens-de Zeeuw

Dissertation Title: Lindley Murray (1745-1826), Quaker and Grammarian

Dissertation URL:  http://hdl.handle.net/1887/17835

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Dissertation Director(s):
Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade

Dissertation Abstract:

The American-born Quaker Lindley Murray (1745-1826) arguably was the most influential English language grammarian; undeniably he was the best-selling one. Murray was the author of the English Grammar (1795), and between 1795 and the middle of the nineteenth century millions of copies were sold of this grammar alone, while several of his other textbooks were no less popular. In my dissertation, I paint a comprehensive portrait of this prolific writer, and I investigate how Murray's Quakerism influenced his language use, by analysing a corpus of 262 of his unpublished private letters. In addition, I compared his own usage to the rules that he compiled for his English Grammar, to see whether Murray practiced what he preached.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/