22.4016, Jobs: Language Documentation: PhD Positions, University of Berne

Fri Oct 14 13:47:52 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4016. Fri Oct 14 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4016, Jobs: Language Documentation: PhD Positions, University of Berne

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 13-Oct-2011
From: George van Driem [george.vandriem at isw.unibe.ch]
Subject: Language Documentation: PhD Positions, University of Berne, Switzerland

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:46:06
From: George van Driem [george.vandriem at isw.unibe.ch]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4016.html&submissionid=4534146&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Berne
Department: Linguistics Institute
Job Location: Berne, Switzerland
Web Address: http://www.isw.unibe.ch
Job Rank: PhD Positions

Specialty Areas: Language Documentation

Task:
Grammatical description of an endangered and hitherto undescribed or poorly
documented language of the Indian subcontinent. The grammar will consist of
an analytical description of the phonetics and phonology, morphology and
morphosyntax, syntactic and pragmatic phenomena in the language and
include a lexicon and morphologically analysed texts. The choice of
languages will be made on the basis of the urgency of documentation in view
of the degree of language endangerment, and the potential significance of the
chosen language in terms of what light the language may shed on the
phylogeny of its language family and on Asian population prehistory. The
language description which will serve as the Ph.D. fellow's doctoral
dissertation and represent a fundamental contribution to the field. The PhD
fellow will conduct fieldwork in order to gather the corpus of language data
which will form the basis of his or her description.

Requirements:
For our team we are looking for three highly motivated PhD students with
sufficient linguistic qualifications for admission to the Bern PhD programme
and relevant language competence. In addition to the benefit of expert
supervision, the Ph.D. fellows will take part in fortnightly seminars and
through their research may also participate in the Trans-Himalayan database
project of the Bern Linguistic Laboratory.

Salary:
Salary scale is provided by the Swiss National Science Foundation
(http://www.snf.ch).

Application documents:
Please send the following items electronically:
-   Your curriculum vitae (do not omit place and date of birth, nationality and
address, and also kindly include a photograph)
-  Electronic copies of your master's thesis and bachelor's thesis
-  Your list of publications, if any, as well as PDFs of these publications
-  Scans of your diplomas
-  A statement of proposed research

Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2012

Email Address for Applications: george.vandriem at isw.unibe.ch