23.594, Jobs: Natural Language Processing: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Sat Feb 4 17:06:03 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-594. Sat Feb 04 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.594, Jobs: Natural Language Processing: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 03-Feb-2012
From: Eugene Joseph [eugene at northsideinc.com]
Subject: Natural Language Processing: Programmer, North Side Inc., Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:05:18
From: Eugene Joseph [eugene at northsideinc.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-594.html&submissionid=4540128&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: North Side Inc.
Job Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Web Address: http://www.northsideinc.com
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing

Java Programmer - NLP (Natural Language Processing)

At North Side (http://www.northsideinc.com) we're developing a natural
language dialogue pipeline.

Our first application will be the Bot Colony (http://www.botcolony.com), an
online adventure video game where the player converses with the
characters to advance in the game. Bot Colony will also be played by
people who are interested to improve their English in a fun way (especially
English as a Second Language/ESL). Check out Bot Colony online for
more information.

The language pipeline we're developing is generic, enabling computers to
converse with people on a wide-range of day-to-day topics. We expect that
our language understanding technology will find additional applications
besides the game.

We have two openings in our Montreal facility for work on Word Sense
Disambiguation and knowledge-acquisition and structuring for use in
dialogue.

The following qualifications are mandatory:
-  Strong Java skills
-  SQL/ Object-oriented databases
-  Basic knowledge of English grammar (more in-depth knowledge of
English syntax, semantics and pragmatics would of ocurse be great)
-  B.Sc. in Computer Scienece is a minimum requirement

Background in any Computational Linguistics sub-domain is highly
desirable: we have work in parsing, disambiguation, co-reference
resolution, Question Answering, Dialog management, ontologies, Corpus
processing, knowledge-acquisition, and evolving large lexical databases.

Education-wise, a M.Sc. or Ph.D degree in Computational Linguistics is
also desirable.

We stress, however, that Computational Linguistics background is not
mandatory, and we will interview very strong Java programmers, with
experience in databases and online applications. Even if you don't have
the formal background, you should have an interest in language
processing and the desire you to learn.

The working environment at North Side is relaxed and dynamic. You will
be part of a growing, multi-disciplinary team working on language R&D,
3D graphics, gameplay programming (the game is scripted in natural
language) and art.

Email Address for Applications: eugene at northsideinc.com
Contact Information:
	Eugene Joseph