23.365, Qs: Looking for Native English Speaking Students

Fri Jan 20 19:20:58 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-365. Fri Jan 20 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.365, Qs: Looking for Native English Speaking Students

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Jan-2012
From: Karen Glaser [karen.glaser at phil.tu-chemnitz.de]
Subject: Looking for Native English Speaking Students

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:20:49
From: Karen Glaser [karen.glaser at phil.tu-chemnitz.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-365.html&submissionid=4539373&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

My name is Karen Glaser, and I am a PhD student in English linguistics at
Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany, analyzing pragmatic aspects in
different varieties of English and with learners of the language. My study
is based on an online questionnaire which contains 14 scenarios, each of
which asks the participants for their spontaneous response.

I am still in dire need of native English-speaking participants between the
ages of 18 and 35 (any variety welcome!) who would be willing to help me
with my research by filling out the questionnaire. It can be accessed at

www.study-reactions.de

and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete (more detailed instructions
are provided in the questionnaire).

Most of you who read this are probably older, but I was thinking that maybe
some of you are instructors and would be willing to pass on my link to
their students and ask them to participate? To make things easier for you,
I have composed a generic e-mail text (pasted below) which you could use if
you're distributing my request via e-mail or a mailing list etc. I would be
indescribably grateful for this help.

If you have any questions about my project, don't hesitate to write to me
at karen.glaser at phil.tu-chemnitz.de. Thanks a lot for considering my
request and supporting me with my research - I am immensely grateful for
any help.

Sincerely,

Karen Glaser
Here's the e-mail text:

Greetings,

My name is Karen Glaser, and I am a PhD student in English linguistics at
Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany, analyzing how native speakers
of English react spontaneously in certain situations. For my study, I have
created an online questionnaire which contains 14 scenarios, each of which
asks the participants for their spontaneous response. The situations are
quite varied and actually rather entertaining (so I've been told).

I am looking for native speakers of English (any variety welcome!) who
would be willing to assist me with my research and fill out my online
questionnaire. It can be accessed at

www.study-reactions.de

and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete (more detailed instructions
are provided in the questionnaire). Kindly note before you start: Since the
questionnaire aims at collecting spontaneous responses, you will neither be
able to return to previous situations nor save your responses midway and
continue at a later point.

If you would like to help me with my research by completing the
questionnaire, I'd appreciate it very much. In addition, I would be very
grateful if you could forward my e-mail to at least two other native
English speakers you think might be interested in providing their input
too. If you have any questions about my project, don't hesitate to contact
me at karen.glaser at phil.tu-chemnitz.de.

Thank you for considering my request and assisting me with my research - I
am immensely grateful for any support.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics
                     Sociolinguistics