23.4978, Disc: Multiple Choice Technique for Assessing Writing

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 29 16:53:19 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4978. Thu Nov 29 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4978, Disc: Multiple Choice Technique for Assessing Writing

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:51:48
From: Kisno Shinoda [d.shinoda85 at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4978.html&submissionid=4558471&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

I have an interesting study case in a university in Batam Island, Indonesia.
According to some books I have read, writing is a productive skill, meaning
there should be a product of one's or a student's writing and there are some
items that should be assessed in writing test such as grammar, vocabulary,
stylistics, mechanics, and cohesion and coherence. Some references suggest
that some items could be assessed through a multiple choice technique. But, is
it fair when we intend to measure the writing skill of a student using only a
multiple choice test? Isn't it more objective if a teacher asks a student to
write instead of asking a student to do a multiple choice test on writing?

Now, the issue is about cohesion and and coherence. Is it possible if we want
to know that one's writing is achieving the cohesion and coherence through
multiple choice? If yes, what is the technique of testing cohesion and
coherence through multiple choice? Are there any books or references
suggesting that cohesion and coherence of one's writing could possibly be
assessed through a multiple choice testing technique?

Subject Language(s): English (eng)