23.4083, Calls: Psycholinguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 2 16:23:46 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4083. Tue Oct 02 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4083, Calls: Psycholinguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:22:57
From: Stanley Dubinsky [dubinsky at sc.edu]
Subject: 26th Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4083.html&submissionid=4554689&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 26th Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing
Short Title: CUNY2013

Date: 21-Mar-2013 - 23-Mar-2013
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact Person: Fernanda Ferreira
Meeting Email: FERREIRF at mailbox.sc.edu
Web Site: http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/cuny2013/

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 02-Dec-2012

Meeting Description:

The 26th Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing will be held March 21-23, 2013 at the Columbia Convention Center, Columbia, SC (note that we have returned to the Thursday/Friday/Saturday schedule). The website for the conference is http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/cuny2013/.

Invited speakers are Evelina Fedorenko, Julius Fridriksson, Peter Hagoort, Gina Kuperberg, Liina Pylkkänen, and Mark Seidenberg.

Call for Papers:

Abstracts are solicited for papers and posters presenting theoretical, experimental, and/or computational research on any aspect of human sentence processing.  Abstracts will be reviewed anonymously, and will be considered both for the general conference sessions and for a special session titled 'Theories of Sentence Processing and the Neuroscience of Language.'

Accepted presentations will form a program made up of three days of spoken papers presented in plenary sessions plus three poster sessions, one on each of the three days of the conference. Time constraints entail that a small percentage of accepted presentations can be given as talks. Therefore, reviewers will be asked to identify submissions that seem most likely to generate broad interest, on grounds of originality of ideas or significance to the field.

Abstract submission deadline: Sunday, December 2, 2012

This deadline applies to all submissions, whether for paper or poster. Notifications concerning acceptance or rejection will be made in mid-to-late January 2013.

New Abstract Guidelines:

Guidelines for preparation of abstracts differ substantially from those given in previous years, so PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY. Abstracts should be submitted as a one-sided, single-spaced page (8.5 x 11 - not A4), 1-inch margins all around, and in Arial 11 point font. Format must be PDF. The content can be whatever combination of text, figures, tables, charts, and graphics enables you to communicate your ideas effectively, but all content must conform to these specifications and be clearly legible.

All abstracts will be screened by our committee before they are sent out for review. Reviewers will also be asked to inform us of any abstracts they feel violate the guidelines. Obviously, our intention is not to be harsh or draconian; what we want to do is allow authors to include visual content in addition to text without making our job or that of the reviewers impossibly difficult.

Abstracts will be submitted electronically. The submission system is presently under construction.

Information on the Special Session:

The special session will address fundamental questions about the architecture of the language system, based on new evidence from brain imaging, brain stimulation, and cognitive neuropsychology. We believe it is appropriate to ask whether the modules and processing systems that have been assumed up to now need to be profoundly reconsidered in light of what we know about language and the brain. The core of the Special Session is six invited talks by speakers with relevant expertise and diverse backgrounds who have been asked to consider this basic issue. We also encourage submissions of talks and posters that address the theme of the special session.

CUNY 2013 Organizers: Amit Almor, Dirk den Ouden, Stanley Dubinsky, Fernanda Ferreira