24.4553, Calls: Ryukyuan, Ainu, Historical Ling, Socioling, History of Ling, Writing Systems, General Ling/Slovenia

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 14 15:40:40 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4553. Thu Nov 14 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4553, Calls: Ryukyuan, Ainu, Historical Ling, Socioling, History of Ling, Writing Systems, General Ling/Slovenia

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:40:19
From: Ronja Meising [office at eajs.eu]
Subject: 14th EAJS International Conference

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4553.html&submissionid=22819535&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 14th EAJS International Conference

Date: 27-Aug-2014 - 30-Aug-2014
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Contact Person: Ronja Meising
Meeting Email: office at eajs.eu
Web Site: http://aas.ff.uni-lj.si/eajs

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; History of Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Writing Systems

Subject Language(s): Ainu (ain)
                     Japanese (jpn)

Language Family(ies): Ryukyuan

Call Deadline: 30-Nov-2013

Meeting Description:

We would like to draw your attention to the next 14th EAJS International Conference, in which Section 2: Language and Linguistics will certainly be of high interest to the members of this list.

Section 2: Language and Linguistics

Convenors:

Sven Osterkamp, University of Bochum, Germany
Tomasz Majtczak, Jagiellonian University, Poland

The section “Language and Linguistics” aims to provide a forum for the presentation of research pertaining to the languages of Japan – Japanese, Ryukyuan, Ainu – and related fields of study.

Call for Papers:

Although the deadline is near (November 30, 2013), we would still like to take the opportunity to call for interested academics, to submit a paper or panel proposal.

Please find the full call for papers here: http://www.eajs.eu/index.php?id=657

We particularly welcome contributions:

- Addressing any specific segment in the attested history of these languages, from the first extant texts to the present day, or also their prehistory
- Exploring contact situations with neighboring languages or genealogical matters
- Concerned with issues in the philological treatment of pre-modern texts (e.g. critical editions, text encoding, translations)
- Treating the lexicography of the named languages, both in modern and pre-modern times, both of the modern language and of the earlier stages
- Looking into their written representation – in manuscript form, print or both –, its diachronic development as well as the interface between language and writing
- Elucidating the history of the study of these languages, be it in Japan, other parts of East Asia or the West for instance
- As well as contributions belonging to underrepresented areas in general: language stages such as Middle and Early Modern Japanese or Old Ryukyuan; word formation beyond the Sino-Japanese stratum of the lexicon; a broader diachronic perspective on e.g. phonetics or morphology also taking into due account the interplay of phenomena often treated in isolation, etc.

Needless to say we likewise welcome other contributions that deepen our understanding of the structure and history of the languages of Japan from e.g. a comparative, descriptive or theoretical perspective.

We especially invite proposals for panels on any of the named topics (usually comprising three related papers), but also abstracts for individual papers (20 minutes for each presentation, followed by 10 minutes for discussion).

Applicants may do a maximum of two separate submissions - provided that at least one of them is co-authored. This means a participant can submit up to one single authored abstract and one co-authored abstract (co-panelist counts as a single author) or two co-authored abstracts.

Abstracts and panel proposals should be submitted no later than November 30, 2013.

For individual papers, we kindly ask you to submit an abstract of not more than 1500 characters.

For panels, please submit the title of the panel and an abstract of up to 1500 characters explaining the overall focus, together with a 300 word abstract from each participant. We also need you to identify a chair.

All proposals should be anonymous (i.e. the abstract should not include the author's name and affiliation, nor shall it be printed on the author's private or university letter head), but be accompanied by presenter name(s), institutional affiliation(s) and email address(es) to be entered into a separate form

Any audio-visual equipment requirements you might have need to be submitted together with your proposal.

Applicants will be informed of the results of their submissions by the end of January 2014. Accepted presenters will be asked to submit a short, one paragraph biographical statement.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/