25.4043, Calls: Syntax, Semantics/Israel

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 14 04:38:16 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4043. Tue Oct 14 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4043, Calls: Syntax, Semantics/Israel

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 00:37:49
From: Ivy Sichel [isichel at mscc.huji.ac.il]
Subject: Jerusalem Workshop on Syntax & Semantics: Negation and Polarity

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4043.html&submissionid=35967437&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Jerusalem Workshop on Syntax & Semantics: Negation and Polarity

Date: 08-Feb-2015 - 10-Feb-2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Contact Person: Ivy Sichel
Meeting Email: isichel at mscc.huji.ac.il

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 27-Nov-2014

Meeting Description:

Jerusalem Workshop on Syntax-Semantics

Syntax and Semantics of negation, negative expressions, and polarity expressions.

As the study of negation and negative-related expressions has become more fine-grained, it has become increasingly clear that further progress in the field requires the combination of syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic tools.

The goal of the workshop is to bring together people working in different areas to discuss open issues related to the syntax, semantics, pragmatics (and their interfaces) of negative expressions, negation and polarity. These issues include but are not limited to: Negation, Neg-Raising (Collins & Postal 2013), Neg-Concord, licensing of NegDPs (Abels & Marti 2010, Zeijlstra 2011, Iatridou & Sichel 2011), licensing of NPIs and PPIs (see e.g. Nicolae 2012, Chierchia 2013, Crnič 2014, Spector 2014); the distribution of NPIs in non-declarative environments (e.g., Guerzoni 2004, Nicolae 2013, Guerzoni & Sharvit 2014); variation in distribution among NPIs, PPIs (e.g., Gajewski 2011, Iatridou & Zeijlstra 2013, Chierchia 2013), etc.

Invited Speakers:

Vincent Homer (UMass)
Yael Sharvit (UCLA) & Elena Guerzoni (USC)
Benjamin Spector (CNRS, IJN)
Hedde Zeijlstra (Göttingen)
Sabine Iatridou (MIT)
Chris Collins & Paul Postal (NYU)

Call for Papers:

Theme: Negation and Polarity

We invite submissions on these and other related issues, and we especially encourage work that crosses traditional boundaries, i.e. between syntax and semantics, or empirically, between concord phenomena and polarity phenomena. We hope to create an opportunity for syntacticians and semanticists who are doing cutting-edge research on negation, polarity, and negative expressions, to come together for a discussion of latest developments in these areas. We may be able to reimburse participants for some of their expenses.

Important Dates:

Abstract submission deadline: November 27, 2014
Notification of acceptance: December 1, 2014
Workshop date: February 8-10, 2015

Submissions:

We invite abstracts for a 45 minute oral presentation followed by a 15 minute discussion. Abstracts should be anonymous and should not exceed 2 pages in length (A4 or letter-size, 12 pt. font, 1-inch/2.5-cm margins), including examples and references. The language of the workshop is English. Abstracts should be submitted through the Easychair page: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=jerusalemsynsem14

Organizers:

Ivy Sichel, Aynat Rubinstein, Luka Crnič