25.4206, Support: Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Text Mining / USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 24 04:16:30 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4206. Fri Oct 24 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4206, Support: Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Text Mining / USA

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:15:07
From: Kevin Cohen [kevin.cohen at ucdenver.edu]
Subject: Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Text Mining: PhD Student, University of Colorado School of Medicine, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4206.html&submissionid=35971657&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: University of Colorado School of Medicine
Department: Biomedical Text Mining Group
Web Address: http://compbio.ucdenver.edu

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Natural Language Processing, Text Mining

The PhD Training Program in Computational Bioscience at the University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, is accepting applications for funded PhD student positions for the coming academic year.

Our graduate student and post-doctoral fellow training program is funded by the National Library of Medicine, allowing us to provide generous fellowships, including tuition, travel, equipment, and other benefits for qualified trainees. We are currently recruiting Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows for Fall 2015. In particular, we are looking for students with strong computational backgrounds interested in a career in biomedical natural language processing and bioinformatics.
Specialties of our program include Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, and Computational Linguistics. Our faculty are active in the areas of information extraction, named entity recognition and concept normalization, Corpus Linguistics, information retrieval, question-answering, Computational Lexical Semantics, document classification, and software engineering for natural language processing. Application areas include epilepsy, spinal cord injury, suicide prevention, and high-throughput assay analysis. Students in the program have the opportunity to do rotations with leading researchers in the field of biomedical natural language processing, including Kevin Cohen, Larry Hunter, Martha Palmer (University of Colorado Boulder campus), and James Martin (University of Colorado Boulder campus).

Our program focuses on giving students a strong background in biology and computational bioscience, enabling them to approach the biomedical literature and clinical texts as near-"native speakers." To that end, the first year of graduate education includes one semester of an intensive course in biology and two semesters of computational bioscience. Our students have a tradition of outstanding accomplishments, including publications in leading journals and presentations at key conferences. All of our graduates have gone on to productive careers in bioinformatics, ranging across academic, government, and industrial institutions.

How to Apply:
For more information about the program and how to apply, please visit the program's website at:
http://compbio.ucdenver.edu
Also, feel free to contact Kevin Cohen at kevin.cohen at ucdenver.edu
Larry Hunter at larry.hunter at ucdenver.edu
or Elizabeth Wethington, graduate program coordinator, at elizabeth.wethington at ucdenver.edu