25.4264, Support: General Linguistics / USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 28 02:51:12 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4264. Mon Oct 27 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4264, Support: General Linguistics / USA

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:49:06
From: Alison Gabriele [gabriele at ku.edu]
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD Student, University of Kansas, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4264.html&submissionid=35972357&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: University of Kansas
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: https://linguistics.ku.edu/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Teaching

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The University of Kansas (KU) Linguistics Department has several fellowships as well as graduate teaching or research assistantship positions that will be available in the 2015-2016 academic year. We will be able to award one Chancellor's Fellowship, the university's most prestigious graduate award, which offers a generous funding package for 5 years of doctoral study. Multi-year funding packages will also be available for students who can serve as Graduate Research Assistants on two funded grant projects: a project on prosody and second language speech segmentation (directed by Dr. Annie Tremblay, atrembla at ku.edu) and a project on tone sandhi in Chinese dialects (directed by Dr. Jie Zhang, zhang at ku.edu).

How to Apply:
Students who are interested in these research positions should contact these faculty members directly. In addition, funding will be available on a competitive basis for other fellowships and teaching Assistantships in the department. All applicants to the program will be automatically considered for all awards.

About Linguistics at the University of Kansas:
The Linguistics Department at KU has undergone significant changes in the past decade to position itself as a unique program that unites linguistic theory and experimental research. We have particular strengths in Experimental Phonetics and Phonology, First and Second Language Acquisition, Developmental Psycholinguistics, Second Language Psycholinguistics and Neurolinguistics, the Cognitive Neuroscience of Language, Linguistic Fieldwork, and Theoretical Syntax and Semantics. Our faculty members and graduate students study a broad range of languages including understudied language varieties in Asia, Africa, and the Americas. The department has six active research labs, which have all successfully competed for external funding and provide support for graduate studies. The department has both head-mounted and remote eye trackers, an EEG laboratory, and on the KU medical center campus, cortical MEG, fetal MEG and MRI systems. We offer both M.A. and Ph.D. degrees.

For more information, please see our website:
http://linguistics.ku.edu/
Information on admission requirements is available at: https://linguistics.ku.edu/admission

Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2015

Web Address for Applications: https://linguistics.ku.edu/admission#tab2name