26.1988, Presenting Our Next Featured Linguist: Ljuba Veselinova

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 14 16:23:07 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1988. Tue Apr 14 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1988, Presenting Our Next Featured Linguist: Ljuba Veselinova

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:21:46
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear LINGUIST List Readers,

we are pleased to present you our featured linguist Ljuba Veselinova for Fund
Drive 2015.

Please support the LINGUIST List editors and activities with a donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Ljuba Veselinova

I came to LINGUIST List in 1994 as the first recipient of its graduate student
fellowship funded by subscribers. Compared to its current size, the list was
small back then (around 4000 subscribers). However, the work was exciting and
there was this whole new universe to explore -- I am talking, of course, about
the internet. I was soon engulfed by UNIX, its shells, its mail and text
utilities, especially emacs. It was scary to have to tell some of the people
who figured as authors of my textbooks that they will need to edit parts of
their messages. The mailing list function was a primary one at that time and
the list was split between Eastern Michigan University and the University of
Texas A & M. Those of us based in Michigan were connecting to a computer in
Texas via a phone modem! I stayed with LINGUIST List thanks to the
subscribers' support until I finished my MA in 1997. By the time I was
leaving, the subscriber numbers had soared to 10000 and counting; the mailing
list had become just one of the functions LINGUIST performed, and a well
organized website was in place. The first NSF funded infrastructure project
was going on and there were several grant proposals in the making. Working for
LINGUIST List had never been more promising.

In a way, it is actually wrong to ask me what I am doing after LINGUIST List
because I never truly quit for real. While greater part of my time has been
devoted to typology through my dissertation on suppletion in verb paradigms
and my participation in the World Atlas of Language Structures (WALS), my
interest in technology and LINGUIST is as alive as ever. After 1997, I kept
coming back to Michigan for periods of time of varying length. Thanks to
grants from the Swedish Institute I was able to come back in summer 1998 as
well as in fall 1999; in summer 2000 I was partially funded by LINGUIST List
NSF grant. My latest stay was on a Visiting Scientist position during the
academic year 2005-6. I was planning on looking for other academic jobs in the
US when the Swedish Research Council awarded me a four year long research
funding. It is worth noting that one of the motivations for this reward as
well as other grants I received was my international experience while working
for the LINGUIST List.

(...)

Read more:
http://blog.linguistlist.org/?p=2266

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2015. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!