26.2566, Calls: Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Text/Corpus Ling, Socioling/Norway

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 21 15:17:03 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2566. Thu May 21 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2566, Calls: Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Text/Corpus Ling, Socioling/Norway

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 11:16:35
From: Oleksandr Kapranov [oleksandr.kapranov at uib.no]
Subject: The Human Side of Climate Change

Full Title: The Human Side of Climate Change

Date: 16-Oct-2015 - 17-Oct-2015
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact Person: Kjersti Fløttum
Meeting Email: kjersti.flottum at if.uib.no, oleksandr.kapranov at uib.no, vegard.rivenes at if.uib.no
Web Site: http://www.uib.no/en/project/lingclim

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jun-2015

Meeting Description:

We invite you to submit your abstracts for the conference 'The Human Side of Climate Change' to be held on 16-17 October 2015 in Bergen (Norway), organised by the LINGCLIM project at University of Bergen.

A number of leading scholars from various disciplines will present their recent research, and professor Mike Hulme will give the closing keynote lecture.

Conference participation is free.

We welcome paper proposals from all disciplines relevant for the human and societal side of climate change.

For submitting your proposals (deadline June 1) and register (deadline September 15), please go to our web site:

http://www.uib.no/en/project/lingclim, where you also find all relevant information.

Call for Papers:

The conference “The Human Side of Climate Change” draws on previous linguistic research focusing on  a variety of aspects of climate change discourse, in various genres (scientific, political, media) viewed from perspectives of  both micro- (Dahl & Fløttum, 2014) and macro-levels of analysis (Nerlich, 2010), narratology (Fløttum, 2013) as well cognitive linguistics (Koteyko et al., 2010).  As indicated by Hulme (2009), the study of climate change from the vantage point of linguistics has accumulated a growing body of literature investigating climate change discourse, especially discourse by the media. In this regard, our conference embraces representations of climate change discourse and their interpretations in various contexts, including scientific, political, media actors as well as the public’s opinions and attitudes. Hence, we invite submissions related to the role of language in climate change text and talk elucidated from both micro- and macro-linguistic and discursive
  perspectives.

All interested in research on ''the human side'' of climate change are invited to participate and to submit a paper proposal, which will be assessed by the conference organisers. Paper proposal including name, affiliation, department and an abstract of 200-300 words should be emailed to oleksandr.kapranov at uib.no and vegard.rivenes at if.uib.no by 1 June 2015.

Please use the template at LINGCLIM's website: uib.no/en/project/lingclim

Information on whether your proposed paper has been accepted will be given by July 1.

The deadline for registering for the conference is September 15.

Please register here: uib.no/en/project/lingclim

Conference participation is free, but participants must arrange and pay for their own travel and accommodation. There will be a fee for meals.