26.4811, Confs: Phonetics, Phonology/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 29 16:37:57 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4811. Thu Oct 29 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4811, Confs: Phonetics, Phonology/USA

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 12:37:47
From: Jonathan Barnes [jabarnes at bu.edu]
Subject: Rising Intonation in English and Beyond

Rising Intonation in English and Beyond

Date: 31-May-2016 - 03-Jun-2016
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact: Meghan Armstrong
Contact Email: meghan.armstrong at gmail.com
Meeting URL: http://sites.bu.edu/speechprosody2016/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

Over the past years, popular media has become interested in intonational phenomena such as “high rising terminals” (HRTs) and “uptalk”. These related phenomena are quite common to varieties of English, but why is this the case? To our knowledge, few studies have looked across English varieties to identify the commonalities or differences in how rises work, and why they might be so widespread in English. The goal of this session is to bring together scholars working on  HRTs and so-called “uptalk” in varieties of English, but also scholars working on related phenomena in other languages. Central topics to be addressed include (but are not limited to) the cross-linguistic nature of the HRT/uptalk phenomenon, teasing out the difference between rises used for HRT/uptalk versus other rises in a language’s intonational grammar, methods at our disposal to study the phenomenon, the pragmatics of HRT/uptalk, sociolinguistic considerations, and HRT/uptalk realization in the speec
 h of clinical populations.