28.5096, Support: General Linguistics: MA, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 5 18:24:02 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5096. Tue Dec 05 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5096, Support: General Linguistics: MA, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 13:24:00
From: Elliott Moreton [moreton at unc.edu]
Subject: General Linguistics: MA, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: http://linguistics.web.unc.edu

Level: MA / MSc

Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel
Hill, invites applications for admission to our MA program for Fall 2018.

We welcome applications from students with a background in linguistics or a
related field, including those who came late to linguistics and are seeking to
prepare themselves for applying to a competitive PhD program. Our MA graduates
have been accepted to top tier PhD programs in linguistics around North
America.

We offer a wide range of courses in the core areas of formal linguistics
(syntax, semantics, morphology, phonetics, phonology, language acquisition and
historical linguistics) as well as many additional areas including
computational linguistics, writing systems, sociolinguistics, bilingualism and
Mayan languages. Student funding is available on a competitive basis in the
form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships.
Graduate students have office space (shared) in our department. Research
facilities include a phonetics lab with a large double-walled soundproof booth
and equipment for making both audio and articulatory measurements, as well as
a lab for child language-acquisition experiments. Unlimited free statistical
consulting is provided by the Odum Institute for Social Science. The
Department carries on cooperative research with the Museum of Life and Science
in Durham. The University is located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, a
bustling, affordable, and walkable community.

For more information, please visit our website at
http://linguistics.web.unc.edu, or write to the Director of Graduate
Admissions (Elliott Moreton, moreton at unc.edu). Applications received by Dec.
12, 2017, will receive fullest consideration for financial aid, but the final
application deadline is May 6th, 2018.

Application Deadline: 06-May-2018

Web Address for Applications: http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/

Contact Information: