28.2894, FYI: Multimodal Corpus Spanish Speech Acts COR.E.M.A.H.

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 3 15:00:11 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2894. Mon Jul 03 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2894, FYI: Multimodal Corpus Spanish Speech Acts COR.E.M.A.H.

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 11:00:09
From: Marta Vacas Matos [titavama at gmail.com]

Most of the mistakes we make in our second or third languages are not only
linked to grammar, but also to pragmatics. Pragmalinguistic mistakes come from
the literal translation of pieces of language from one language to the other,
whereas Sociopragmatic mistakes come from a different perception of the world.
My corpus analyzes and compares three conflictive speech acts (compliments,
refusals, and apologies) and the sources of these mistakes. The use of
upgraders and downloaders in both cultures, Spanish and American, are also
analyzed amongst the three groups of the research: intermediate students of
Spanish, advanced students of Spanish, and native speakers of Spanish.
Furthermore, given the multimodal nature of COR.E.M.A.H (Corpus Español
Multimodal de Actos de Habla / Multimodal Corpus of Spanish Speech Acts), the
differences in nonverbal behavior, gestures, proxemics, and tone of voice will
also be addressed. The corpus contains 72 subjects who perform a total of 108
videos which are transcribed and tagged. The web of COR.E.M.A.H
(https://coremah-1a37f.firebaseapp.com/coremah/) is an advanced resource to
teach pragmatics in a foreign language class at many levels. Transcriptions
can be downloaded in three different ways: raw transcription, transcription
with non-verbal language annotations, and transcription with non-verbal
annotations and tags. The COR.E.M.A.H web page also allows search by word or
by strategy amongst the whole corpus, by speech act or by role-play.

                     Discourse Analysis
                     Language Acquisition
                     Pragmatics
                     Sociolinguistics