28.3074, Calls: Anth Ling, Socioling/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 14 16:42:40 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3074. Fri Jul 14 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3074, Calls: Anth Ling, Socioling/United Kingdom

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:42:32
From: Angela Creese [a.creese at bham.ac.uk]
Subject: Communication in the City

Full Title: Communication in the City

Date: 08-Mar-2018 - 09-Mar-2018
Location: Birmingham, UK, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Angela Creese
Meeting Email: a.creese at bham.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/generic/tlang/conferences/index.aspx

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 22-Sep-2017

Meeting Description:

This international cross disciplinary conference is focused on the theme of
communication in the city. We will create conversations which transcend
disciplinary boundaries, and assist in thinking creatively about communication
in metropolitan settings. We aim to promote discussion of research findings
and methodologies between a range of stakeholders including academics,
professionals, policy-makers, and practitioners.

Call for Papers:

TLANG is delighted to invite proposals for its final two day international
conference on 8th and 9th March, 2018 to be held in Birmingham, UK. The
conference fee is £150.

British Sign Language and International Sign interpretation will be organised
for all main sessions and at least one of the parallel sessions.

We welcome proposals for individual papers and colloquia related to the
following themes:

- Mobility:
Papers in this theme will consider the dynamics and complexity of
communication in superdiverse societies where people from an increased number
of territories come into contact, and where people have access to an increased
range of resources for communication. Papers considering implications for
communication of movement from and to cities are welcome.

- Change:
In this theme papers will explore communication in changing cities. Papers
will engage with changing city landscapes, changing demographics, and changing
modes of communication. Papers may refer to the implications of change for
communication in institutional contexts, including education, law, and
business, and in non-institutional, informal contexts.

- Interpretation:
This theme addresses communicative exchanges which include, or refer to, any
aspect of interpretation and translation, broadly conceived. Examples of such
exchanges may include asylum interviews, sign language interpretation, and
text translation. We also welcome papers which consider miscommunication, and
papers which refer to cultural translation.

- Encounters:
This theme explores communication in encounters between people in the city.
These may include, for example, service encounters in markets, interactions in
welfare benefits settings, and exchanges in contexts of teaching and learning.
We welcome papers which refer to encounters which include translanguaging,
multilingualism, multimodality and complex semiotic repertoires.

- Creativity:
This theme contemplates creativity across a broad range of formal and
non-formal communicative arenas. We welcome papers which take creativity as a
starting point to explore communicative competence in everyday contexts of
linguistic and social diversity.

- Networks:
This theme takes networks as its focus. Papers may consider notions of
community, place, and neighbourhood, in discussions of communication in local,
national, and global networks. We are interested in studies of digital
communication, and welcome papers which refer to social media and other online
networks.

Keynotes:
- Jan Blommaert (Tilburg University)
- Ana Deumert (University of Cape Town)
- Annelies Kusters (Heriot-Watt University)
- Tong-King Lee (University of Hong Kong)
- Betsy Rymes (University of Pennsylvania)

Proposals:
Proposals are invited for individual papers, colloquia, posters, and
roundtable discussions. The deadline for proposal submission is midnight on
22nd September 2017.  Decisions on successful applications will be announced
in mid-November.  Details of registration and the link to abstract submission
will be announced shortly.