29.1628, Review: English; Discipline of Linguistics; History of Linguistics: Kertész (2017)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 16 18:14:29 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1628. Mon Apr 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1628, Review: English; Discipline of Linguistics; History of Linguistics: Kertész (2017)

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:14:25
From: Geoffrey Sampson [sampson at cantab.net]
Subject: The Historiography of Generative Linguistics

Discuss this message:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/reviews/get-review.cfm?subid=36342137

Book announced at http://linguistlist.org/issues/28/28-3872.html

AUTHOR: András  Kertész
TITLE: The Historiography of Generative Linguistics
PUBLISHER: Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
YEAR: 2017

REVIEWER: Geoffrey Sampson, University of Sussex

REVIEWS EDITOR: Helen Aristar-Dry

SUMMARY

The word “historiography” is often used, as András Kertész says in his
Preface, as little more than a synonym of “history”, in the sense “writing by
historians”.  Kertész, though, uses it here in a more specific sense, namely
“analysis of writing by historians”.  That is, Kertész is setting out to
compare and evaluate various attempts by scholars to describe the evolution of
generative linguistics from Noam Chomsky’s “Syntactic Structures” of 1957
onwards.

This point is worth stressing, because the book could easily be misunderstood
and unfairly criticized by readers who fail to grasp the point.  For most
people who count themselves members of the discipline of linguistics, their
main interest is surely (some or all aspects of) the nature of human language.
 A smaller number will also be interested in the nature of others’ views about
the nature of language, as a subject of study in its own right.  But Kertész
is chiefly concerned with a further level of abstraction:  if you like, the
nature of people’s views about the nature of other people’s views about the
nature of language.

That might seem to make Kertész’s topic so very abstract as to appeal to
vanishingly few potential readers.  However, in his concluding chapter
(Chapter 7), Kertész gives reasons for seeing it as worth pursuing.  He argues
that getting the historiography right will help us form a better understanding
of the concrete issue, the nature of language.  Be that as it may, we clearly
need to judge Kertész’s book against the goals the author has actually chosen,
not against more “obvious” goals one might easily mistake those for.  In
particular, Kertész does not aim to evaluate generative linguistics, as
opposed to historical writing about it:  “We will join neither the proponents
nor the opponents of generative linguistics” (p. 11).

Chapter 1 briefly defines the overall aim of the book, saying that its topic
can be interpreted as examining the diverse solutions implicitly offered by
various scholars to the problem (P):  “What historiographical ‘framework’,
‘central hypothesis’ and ‘basic terms’ can account for the history of
generative linguistics?”  Kertész sees the three terms set off here by
inverted commas as issues common to the historiography of every science.  He
relates his concept of historiography of science to standard versions of the
philosophy of science, particularly the canonical views of Sir Karl Popper
([1935] 1959), modified by Imre Lakatos (1976), together with Thomas Kuhn’s
(1960) idea that scientific progress advances not solely through rejection of
theories in favour of other theories which are empirically superior, but also,
sometimes, through “revolutions” in which one “paradigm” replaces another with
which it is incommensurable.

(Kuhn’s concept of scientific revolutions seemed shocking in its day, though
it achieved great influence.  Later, it was overtaken in shock value by Paul
Feyerabend’s (1975) “anarchistic” philosophy of science.  Interestingly,
Kertész never mentions Feyerabend.  That, for me at least, is no criticism of
Kertész, but it is perhaps surprising, because some current proponents of
generative linguistics have been relying on Feyerabend’s ideas to make their
case – see e.g. Sampson 2017: 65–6.)

Chapter 2, Kertész’s central and by far his longest chapter, proceeds to
examine discussions by historians of linguistics about successive milestones
in Chomsky’s thinking (apart from “Syntactic Structures”, these are “Aspects”
(1965), “The Sound Pattern of English” (1968), “Lectures on Government and
Binding” (1981), and “The Minimalist Program” (1995)).  From these discussions
Kertész distils 22 different solutions advocated at various times to problem
(P).  This is done in a highly schematic way, so that each of the 22 solutions
is couched in terms of the same three categories of ‘framework’, ‘central
hypothesis’, and ‘basic terms’.  To quote one example, Frederick Newmeyer