29.2011, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Psycholinguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 10 15:40:33 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2011. Thu May 10 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2011, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Psycholinguistics/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 11:40:16
From: Christian Stegemann [christian.stegemann at uni-tuebingen.de]
Subject: Ambiguity as (Information) Gaps: Processes of Creation and Resolution

Full Title: Ambiguity as (Information) Gaps: Processes of Creation and Resolution
Short Title: AmbiGaP2018

Date: 16-Nov-2018 - 17-Nov-2018
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact Person: Christian Stegemann
Meeting Email: ambiguitaet at graduiertenkolleg.uni-tuebingen.de
Web Site: https://www.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung/forschungsschwerpunkte/graduiertenkollegs/grk-1808-ambiguitaet-produktion-und-rezeption/workshop.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Jul-2018

Meeting Description:

How do the processes of resolving and producing ambiguity work? Starting from
the hypothesis that understanding an utterance involves a mapping to an
internal representation, let ambiguity denote the presence of two or more
competing mappings. We want to approach the phenomena underlying the cognitive
processing of ambiguity.

As a first approximation, let us say that ambiguity arises when ''gaps'' are
present in an utterance within natural language discourse that can be filled
in two or more specific ways by the hearer. Consider encountering the
following phrase in a videogame: ''hit the treasure chest with a stick and it
will break!'' To some, ''it'' might be ambiguous, others might say that the
stick will break (the chest probably won't). Substituting ''open'' for
''break'' removes that ambiguity because ''open'' is much more likely for a
chest. In understanding the phrase, a lot of context has to be integrated
nonetheless. Consider the response ''I will use a rock then!''. It is
perfectly understandable but again lots of details are left out because they
don't seem necessary. In natural language, hearers and speakers use additional
information to fill in such ''information gaps'' or create them with great
ease. Indeed, we often don't even take note of all the ambiguities that are
technically there or that we introduce, while a computer might find
ambiguities everywhere and create them in the wrong places.

Our working hypothesis is thus the following: speakers and hearers map
utterances to some internal representation in which at least some of the
information gaps are filled. This leads to a more specific set of interesting
questions.

- What information is employed when hearers fill these information gaps?
- When, why and how do speakers create them?
- What counts as an information gap?
- What are the underlying cognitive processes in creation and resolution of
information gaps?
- Which types of gaps are challenging to speakers / hearers / computers?

Invited Speakers:

Peter Culicover
Peter Dominey
Victor Ferreira
Stefan Frank
Mante Nieuwland
Martin Pickering
Greg Scontras

Call for Papers:

Submissions should be in the form of extended abstracts of up to 500 words
plus references. The workshop will be held in English.

Abstracts can be submitted through
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ambigap2018

Deadline for Submission: 15 July 2018
Notification of Acceptance: 17 August 2018

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: