29.4068, FYI: Call for Book Chapters

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 19 02:36:39 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4068. Thu Oct 18 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4068, FYI: Call for Book Chapters

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 22:35:35
From: Bedrettin Yazan [byazan at ua.edu]
Subject: Call for Book Chapters

Editors: Rashi Jain (Montgomery College) and Bedrettin Yazan (University of
Alabama)
Foreword by Suresh Canagarajah (The Pennsylvania State University)
October 1, 2018

The field of second and foreign language pedagogy, especially, includes
transnational practitioners with complex personal-professional histories that,
in turn, impact how these practitioners construct their identities and engage
in practices across diverse contexts. TESOL practitioners also work frequently
with students who are transnational migrants. These
participants--teachers-to-be and language learners alike--may be engaged in
reimagining ‘home’ as an idea that is beyond a geographical location. Further,
in such a fast-changing and increasingly interconnected world, the traditional
notions around ‘center’ and ‘periphery’, ‘native’ and ‘nonnative’,
‘researcher’ and ‘practitioner’, and ‘practitioner’ and ‘academic’ themselves
are being questioned and problematized.

We envision this edited volume as both a critical and an accessible
compilation of narratives of transnational practitioners. Too often, scholarly
publications tend to be inaccessible, in terms of both content and
scholarship, to a large part of the very populations theorized about. We hope
to create a space for voices that truly move the field forward in ways that
are approachable for all participants. We specifically invite the diverse
perspectives of those who engage in the practice of TESOL and who may identify
‘home’ as across and beyond geographical locations. We also invite TESOL
practitioners who work with transnational students in two-year colleges,
four-year colleges, as well as universities around the world. Further, TESOL
practitioners working in both English language programs and in teacher
preparation programs could share their perspectives about how the
transnational identities of their student participants may inform the
practitioners’ pedagogies. Finally, we encourage TESOL practitioners who work
in community-based literacy programs populated by immigrant students,
including refugees, to also participate in this unique collaboration.

Our objective, as editors, is to facilitate a volume that serves as a
community space where narratives of transnational TESOL practitioners and
participants may find a permanent home. These narratives may range from
autoethnographies to self-study reports and from theoretical pieces to
empirical accounts. We also welcome accounts of how second/foreign language
student identities and in-service/pre-service teacher identities may be
examined through the transnational lens. To echo Iyer (2013), we wish to
create ‘a moment of stillness’ amidst rapidly changing times to capture how
the global identities of transnational practitioners and participants in TESOL
are helping the field keep pace with the changing world. In essence, “It's
only by stopping movement that you can see where to go” (Iyer, 2013). It
matters 'where we are going' as a field, and our book is an attempt to step
back for a moment in time to assess where we are collectively headed as a
community. We invite your participation in this endeavor.

Please see the link for more information and to submit your proposal:
https://jainrashi78.wixsite.com/transnationalstesol

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: