30.406, Books: 'And I Quote...': Knowles

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 24 17:31:59 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-406. Thu Jan 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.406, Books: 'And I Quote...': Knowles

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:31:52
From: Alyssa Russell [Alyssa.Russell at oup.com]
Subject: 'And I Quote...': Knowles

Title: 'And I Quote...'
Subtitle: A History of Using Other People's Words
Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/and-i-quote-9780198766759

Author: Elizabeth Knowles

Hardback: ISBN:  9780198766759 Pages: 256 Price: U.S. $ 25.00

Abstract:

Quotations are an essential part of the fabric of the language. In And I
quote, Elizabeth Knowles draws on her experience editing the Oxford Dictionary
of Quotations and employs a wide repertoire of examples, ranging from the
classical canon to contemporary popular culture, to illuminate just how and
why we quote.

Her investigation focuses on how we find, choose, and use quotations in 21st
century English, but it also leads her back in time to follow the journeys
taken by individual quotes, as their meaning changes subtly - and sometimes
not so subtly - over the decades and in many cases the centuries. In following
the often-surprising stories of individual quotations, we gain an
understanding of how they establish themselves, and to what degree they can
develop a life independent of their original coinage.

Everyone has their own quotations 'vocabulary', and each reader of the book
will think of further items that they would use and wish to explore, but the
journeys mapped here illuminate the many fascinating ways in which quotations
have embedded themselves in the language, from the earliest dictionaries of
quotations to the online world we experience today.

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature
                     Linguistic Theories

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=132575

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: