30.457, Qs: PhD Survey on Adult Third Culture Kids by Jennifer

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 29 04:57:45 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-457. Mon Jan 28 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.457, Qs: PhD Survey on Adult Third Culture Kids by Jennifer

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:56:53
From: Jennifer Kuhne [jennifer.kuhne at students.uni-mainz.de]

Hello! I am currently working on my PhD on the topic of ''Adult Third Culture
Kids (ATCKs)''. For this I have developed an English online questionnaire and
I am now looking for participants for my survey. My goal is to get answers
from as many participants together - at least 1000 by the mid of April 2019.
Can I count on your support?

If you meet the three selection criteria, I would like to ask you to complete
the questionnaire yourself. In only 10 minutes of your time, you would really
bring my research and me a long way forward. Once you have completed the
questionnaire, but also if you should not meet the selection criteria
yourself, I would like to ask you to forward this email with the questionnaire
link to your family, friends and colleagues (private and professional), anyone
you can think of at all, who would be willing to participate. The further you
can help me spread my inquiry world-wide, the better!

Here are the key facts about the PhD survey: Adult Third Culture Kids (ATCKs):

Selection Criteria:

The survey participants must please
- currently be 20 years of age or older, and
- have lived in two or more countries for at least one year each between age
of 0-18, but not as part of an educational exchange program and,
- be gainfully employed, (not self-employed!), and working 20 hours or more
per week.

Time & Language:

approx. 10 minutes; easy English

Link:

https://survey.zdv.uni-mainz.de/index.php/234234?lang=en
If clicking directly on the link should not work, please copy and paste it to
the browser.

Researcher:

Jennifer Kuhne
Johannes Gutenberg-University in Mainz/Germany
jennifer.kuhne at students.uni-mainz.de

Topic:

Growing up in three different countries, between two cultures and two
languages before I turned 18 has significantly shaped me to be the person I am
today. I learned in my mid-20s that others with a similar background are often
called “Third Culture Kids (TCKs)”. This made me curious to find out more. We
TCKs are growing in numbers due to the impact of globalization and heightened
international lifestyles. I soon discovered that a lot of research has already
been conducted on TCKs as children, teenagers and people in their early
twenties. However, less research has been directed towards TCKs as adults.

After working full-time for a while myself, I decided to go for my PhD,
conduct my own research and contribute to the growing academic knowledge about
“Adult Third Culture Kids (ATCKs)”. I reasoned that a TCK upbringing probably
continues to affect us as adults and the way we work in our jobs. Focusing on
ATCKs in my research work, I would like to find out if Adult TCKs have
attained and developed specific skills and competence, which they are able to
use in their daily professional work-life.

Thank you very much for your help and for participating!
Should you have any questions about the survey or my research, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards, Jennifer Kuhne

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: