Livre: Text Summarization

Philippe Blache pb at harar.lpl.univ-aix.fr
Fri Jun 25 15:21:26 UTC 1999

From: Jud Wolfskill <wolfskil at MIT.EDU>

The following is a book which readers of this list might find of
interest.  For more information please visit
http://mitpress.mit.edu/promotions/books/MANDHF99

Advances in Automatic Text Summarization<bold>

</bold>edited by Inderjeet Mani and Mark T. Maybury

With the rapid growth of the World Wide Web and electronic information
services, information is becoming available on-line at an incredible
rate. One result is the oft-decried information overload. No one has
time to read everything, yet we often have to make critical decisions
based on what we are able to assimilate. The technology of automatic
text summarization is becoming indispensable for dealing with this
problem. Text summarization is the process of distilling the most
important information from a source to produce an abridged version for
a particular user or task.

Until now there has been no state-of-the-art collection of the most
important writings in automatic text summarization. This book presents
the key developments in the field in an integrated framework and
suggests future research areas. The book is organized into six
sections: Classical Approaches, Corpus-Based Approaches, Exploiting
Discourse Structure, Knowledge-Rich Approaches, Evaluation Methods, and
New Summarization Problem Areas.

Contributors<underline>

</underline>D. A. Adams, C. Aone, R. Barzilay, E. Bloedorn, B.
Boguraev, R. Brandow, C. Buckley, F. Chen, M. J. Chrzanowski, H. P.
Edmundson, M. Elhadad, T. Firmin, R. P. Futrelle, J. Gorlinsky, U.
Hahn, E. Hovy, D. Jang, K. Sparck Jones, G. M. Kasper, C. Kennedy, K.
Kukich, J. Kupiec, B. Larsen, W. G. Lehnert, C. Lin, H. P. Luhn, I.
Mani, D. Marcu, M. Maybury, K. McKeown, A. Merlino, M. Mitra, K. Mitze,
M. Moens, A. H. Morris, S. H. Myaeng, M. E. Okurowski, J. Pedersen, J.
J. Pollock, D. R. Radev, G. J. Rath, L. F. Rau, U. Reimer, A. Resnick,
J. Robin, G. Salton, T. R. Savage, A. Singhal, G. Stein, T.
Strzalkowski, S. Teufel, J. Wang, B. Wise, A. Zamora.

8 1/2 x 11, 416 pp., 150 illus., cloth 0-262-13359-8

     |       Jud Wolfskill

253-2079

wolfskil at mit.edu

http://mitpress.mit.edu