Appel: be positive about the negative (JINR plug inside)

Thierry Hamon thierry.hamon at UNIV-PARIS13.FR
Tue Jun 22 19:48:50 UTC 2010

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:58:56 -0400
From: Stan Szpakowicz <szpak at site.uottawa.ca>

It must have been a most successful year for the
computational-linguistic community: hardly anybody has had any
_interesting_ negative results to report. We know, because submissions
to our journal <www.jinr.org> have stalled (>-:). And yet: ACL 2010
features a special category of negative-result papers, so there must
be a need. If the category stays empty, we will have the right to be
even more upbeat. But if there indeed are interesting negative results
to report, maybe the Authors will find an incentive to work an ACL hit
up to a JINR hit. We invite, nay, we welcome all submissions which
meet the journal's standards. Visit its Web site for more.

For the disinclined to surf, here are the essential points on the home
page of the Journal of Interesting Negative Results in Natural
Language Processing and Machine Learning:

"The journal's scope encompasses all areas of Natural Language
Processing and Machine Learning. Papers published in JINR will meet
the highest quality standards, as measured by the originality and
significance of the contribution. They will describe research with
theoretical and practical significance. All theories and ideas will
have to be clearly stated and justified by a deep literature review.

Because of the nature of the journal, there should be good
justification for trying out the ideas presented. The experiments
reported should be shown in a manner that allows their
reproduction. The negative results should be explained and justified,
along with the reasons why the idea did not lead to the predicted
results. The lessons learned should be clearly stated."

All the best,

Vivi Nastase and Stan Szpakowicz

Stan Szpakowicz, PhD, Professor
SITE, Computer Science, University of Ottawa

Message diffuse par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.atala.org/article.php3?id_article=48
English version       :
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html
                                http://liste.cines.fr/info/ln

La liste LN est parrainee par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhesion  : http://www.atala.org/